[comp.sys.mac] many things you wanted to know about multifinder but were ...

dsc@izimbra.CSS.GOV (manic pop thrill) (03/22/88)

In article <7721@apple.Apple.Com> lsr@Apple.COM (Larry Rosenstein) writes:
>In article <1174@cpocd2.UUCP>, howard@cpocd2.UUCP (Howard A. Landman) writes:
>>
>> Under MultiFinder, each program (except possibly the last one) must be
>>specially coded to be "MultiFinder compatible" by calling WaitNextEvent
>>instead of GetNextEvent (if I don't have them reversed).
>
>Not true.  WaitNextEvent exists only to more effectively use the CPU.
>GetNextEvent can cause a context switch as well.

a couple of months ago, `byte' had an article on `multifinder' which i
thought was very helpful in understanding `multifinder' issues
including getnextevent/waitnextevent.  i think it was in the december
or january issue, but don't hold me to that.  the article in question
was the most (um first? :-) useful `byte' article i had read in ages.

dsc

840493n@aucs.UUCP (Bill Nickerson) (03/24/88)

In article <9504@uunet.UU.NET> dsc@izimbra.CSS.GOV (manic pop thrill) writes:

>a couple of months ago, `byte' had an article on `multifinder'...
>...i think it was in the december or january issue...
>
>dsc

It was November, 1987 - p123, "MultiFinder for the MacIntosh".

It was quite explanatory, and should answer many questions about the way
MultiFinder works.

...Bill

--
Bill Nickerson      Tel: (902)542-7925     |
Acadia University +------------------------+