[comp.sys.mac] Vaccine Program from comp.binaries.mac

syap@ur-tut (James Fitzwilliam) (03/23/88)

OK, I've got this neat little vaccinator file in my system folder
which "helps guard against viruses, trojans, worms..." -- What
will it say/do if it spots something fishy?  Can someone explain
briefly how it operates without giving away the recipe for
defeating the protection it provides?  I'm particularly puzzled as
to how an INIT device could check for infections of APPLs as well
as the ZSYS... Is it just a do-a-checksum-on-the-system-at-boot,
or does it work as long as the Mac is on?

Please excuse me if this info was available but I missed it.  This
kind of information is probably safer in the mail than the topic.
(Besides, all of these virus panic messages, vitally important as
they are, can be very unnerving reading while sitting at one's Mac
keyboard!  A bit like watching "A Night to Remember" on a cruise.)

Thanks much.

                                   James Fitzwilliam

domain: syap@tut.cc.rochester.edu
  path: rochester!ur-tut!syap             "Piano is my forte"  (-:
 GEnie: FITZWILLIAM

jwhitnel@csi.UUCP (Jerry Whitnell) (03/24/88)

In article <1480@ur-tut.UUCP> syap@ur-tut (James Fitzwilliam) writes:
>OK, I've got this neat little vaccinator file in my system folder
>which "helps guard against viruses, trojans, worms..." -- What
>will it say/do if it spots something fishy?  Can someone explain
>briefly how it operates without giving away the recipe for
>defeating the protection it provides?  I'm particularly puzzled as
>to how an INIT device could check for infections of APPLs as well
>as the ZSYS... Is it just a do-a-checksum-on-the-system-at-boot,
>or does it work as long as the Mac is on?

The vaccine basicly watchs all attempts to modify the resource fork
of any file that has some subset of resources that are interesting to
it.  If you want to see it in action, try modifying an application or
the System file with Font D/A mover or ResEdit.  LightspeedC will also
cause it to trap.  Note that it is resident at all times (if enabled)
and watches any program for suspious activity.

>                                   James Fitzwilliam

Jerry Whitnell				Been through Hell?
Communication Solutions, Inc.		What did you bring back for me?
						- A. Brilliant

ilan_-_rabinowitz@cup.portal.com (03/24/88)

The vaccine is not just an INIT.  Its a CDEV.  If you look in your control
panel and then hit the vaccine icon, youll be able to select the "instruction"
button for the vaccine.  The instructions are pretty clear.  I do hope
we are talking about the same vaccine INIT, since I've seen a few floating
around.  The one I am talking about is CE's 1.0 version of the vaccine
CDEV.

               - ILAN RABINOWITZ -  with ILANET(tm)

               (408) 248-0521  or  ilan_rabinowitz@cup.portal.com

syap@ur-tut (James Fitzwilliam ) (03/25/88)

In article <4074@cup.portal.com> ilan_-_rabinowitz@cup.portal.com writes:
*The vaccine is not just an INIT.  Its a CDEV.  If you look in your control
*panel and then hit the vaccine icon, youll be able to select the "instruction"

Ahh!  I should have figured this out myself, since I did notice a cdev when
poking into it with ResEdit -- I'd forgotten they belonged to the Control
Panel, however.  Thanks for reminding me.  One would think that "See instruc-
tions in Control Panel" is the kind of thing that should be put in the intro
of the binary.  No big problem, I'm sure I'd have seen it before long (don't
futz with my C-Panel settings all that often!  :-)

Thanks.