[comp.sys.mac] Kanji Fonts

sarrel@sob.cis.ohio-state.edu (Marc Sarrel) (03/13/88)

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a font of Kanji character.  I'd
prefer one for the LW, but just about anything will do.
--Thanks
-=-
Marc Sarrel			The Ohio State University
611 Harely Dr #1		Department of Computer and Information Science
Columbus, OH  43202-1835	sarrel@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
Disclaimer:  Hey, what do I know?  I'm only a grad student.

leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (03/14/88)

sarrel@sob.cis.ohio-state.edu(Marc Sarrel) writes in comp.sys.mac

>Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a font of Kanji character.  I'd
>prefer one for the LW, but just about anything will do.
>--Thanks

	You should definately look into the KanjiTalk Interface System from
Apple (available from APDA for about $20).  It allows you to enter Kanji text
in a very nice form (in ANY application) in either Hiragana or Katakana form
and comes with a couple of fonts.  I do not believe that LW Fonts are included
becuase of the complexity (and size) of the Kanji character set, but the IW
fonts are quite clean and (I assume) will print just fine to an LW.

(Care to elaborate Jordan??)

+                                 +  Any thing I say may be taken as  +
+   Leonard Rosenthol             +  fact, then again you might decide+
+   President, LazerWare, inc.    +  that it really isn't, so you     +
+                                 +  never know, do you??             +
+   leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu     +                                   +
+   GEnie:  MACgician             +                                   +
+   Delphi: MACgician             +                                   +
+                                 +                                   +

howard@cpocd2.UUCP (Howard A. Landman) (03/17/88)

In article <46100112@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>	You should definately look into the KanjiTalk Interface System from
>Apple (available from APDA for about $20).  It allows you to enter Kanji text
>in a very nice form (in ANY application) in either Hiragana or Katakana form
>and comes with a couple of fonts.

Does this work with HyperCard?  That is, if I get it, will I be able to set up
a "Japanese field"  so that everything in it is displayed as Kanji?

Does it have anything that allows correct pronunciation of Japanese words?

--
	Howard A. Landman
	{oliveb,hplabs}!intelca!mipos3!cpocd2!howard

jordan@Apple.COM (Jordan Mattson) (03/17/88)

Dear Leonard -

	No, you did a fine job.  Though you might want to add that the next
version (KanjiTalk 2.0) will be shipping from APDA in June or July.  This
package will have better ImageWriter fonts for Kanji.

leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (03/17/88)

jordan@Apple.COM(Jordan Mattson) writes in comp.sys.mac

>	No, you did a fine job.  Though you might want to add that the next
>version (KanjiTalk 2.0) will be shipping from APDA in June or July.  This
>package will have better ImageWriter fonts for Kanji.

	While we are on the subject could you also elaborate on the current
status of the other Interface Systems such as Arabic, Hebrew, Chinese and any'
other new ones in the works.  I, and I sure others, would like to know...

leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (03/21/88)

howard@cpocd2.UUCP(Howard Landman) writes in comp.sys.mac

>In article <46100112@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>	You should definately look into the KanjiTalk Interface System from
>>Apple (available from APDA for about $20).  It allows you to enter Kanji text
>>in a very nice form (in ANY application) in either Hiragana or Katakana form
>>and comes with a couple of fonts.
>
>Does this work with HyperCard?  That is, if I get it, will I be able to set up
>a "Japanese field"  so that everything in it is displayed as Kanji?

	Although I have not tried it, there is NO reason why you should not be
able to do so.  I am working with the Hebrew Interface and Hypercard without
any problems, and therefore I believe that you should have no problem with the
Kanji Interface as well.  One recommendation is to use Hypercard 1.1 which has
better support for foreign systems.

>Does it have anything that allows correct pronunciation of Japanese words?

	If you are asking if there is any way to pass the words to MacinTalk to
have them pronounced teh answer is NO, but it would be an interesting piece of
code to write.  I did some work once (got about 3/4 done) getting Hebrew to
work with MacinTalk using my own Filter routine, but have not finished it due
to other projects.  If you are willing to write the filter, then it is possible
otherwise, nada.

+                                 +  Any thing I say may be taken as  +
+   Leonard Rosenthol             +  fact, then again you might decide+
+   President, LazerWare, inc.    +  that it really isn't, so you     +
+                                 +  never know, do you??             +
+   leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu     +                                   +
+   GEnie:  MACgician             +                                   +
+   Delphi: MACgician             +                                   +
+                                 +                                   +

Mike_G_Newman@cup.portal.com (03/24/88)

Re: Kanji-talk and Hypercard.  Kanji talk works fine with Hypercard.

On this topic, is someone out there perhaps working on a Japanese language
learning system with Kanji talk and Hypercard>  I have been dabbling at
such a thing myself and would be interested in learning of the development
efforts of others.

I just finished a quick-and-dirty 'learn Kana' stack.  However, I didn't use
Kanji Talk because I wanted to use a bolder and bigger Hiragana font than
is available with Kanji Talk.  My plan is to develop a larger 'learn kanji'
stack that would, of necessity, use the Kanji-talk Kanji font set.

I am a bit frustrated now because I can't get Kanji-talk to work with
multifinder.  Will the celebrated version 2.0 be multifinder compatible?

Regards from Mike G Newman, on Saipan, in the Northern Mariana Islands.

bayes@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Scott Bayes) (03/26/88)

Re: KanjiTalk

Could someone take a few minutes to explain what KanjiTalk is?

Does it just provide a Kanji font?  If so, to what level?  JIS level I?
Level II?  Some other basis?  Is the font extendable?  Is a font editor
included? What font sizes can it handle? Can fonts scale (probably pretty
ugly)?

How is input accomplished?  Kana-Kanji conversion?  (you input kana, the
machine looks up kanji for it, dumbly or context-sensitively, you accept
/reject/choose lookup) Some other method?  The package I wrote many
years ago in Japan used a ~3000 cell matrix on a tablet, much like a
Japanese-language typewriter.

What word-processors can be used with KanjiTalk?  I have WriteNow!, and
my wife loves it.  She would be the main client for Kanji usage. She is
not especially computer-friendly, so wouldn't want to have to use a
brain-damaged editor. Either would I for that matter, having tasted of
the Mac.

Does it use JIS-14 or JIS-15 character sets?  Can I communicate
documents to/from other computers with something like RedRyder?

Can I sample it before slapping down $20+$20 with APDA?  Is there
another way to get it than via APDA?  What documentation is included?

Scott "kome-atama" Bayes
bayes@hpfclw