[comp.sys.mac] How to Install a New Fkey?

peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) (03/25/88)

I have an Fkey that I downloaded off the net. What do I do to assign it
to a key, assuming that the thing works? Just putting it in the system
folder doesn't seem to do the trick. Thanks in advance.

--
Peter Steele, Microcomputer Applications Analyst
Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121

perkins@acf8.UUCP (Mark E. Perkins) (03/25/88)

>I have an Fkey that I downloaded off the net. What do I do to assign it
>to a key, assuming that the thing works? Just putting it in the system
>folder doesn't seem to do the trick. Thanks in advance.

    Use ResEdit to put it the System file, or use one of the FKEY
installation programs out there.

	Mark Perkins

Internet:  mark@vml.psych.nyu.edu	(that's VEE-EM-ELL)
Usenet:    {seismo|ihnp4|allegra}!cmcl2!vml!mark
US Mail:   Department of Psychology, NYU
	   6 Washington Place, room 970
	   New York, NY 10003
Phone:	   (212) 998-7861
From: perkins@acf8.UUCP (Mark E. Perkins)
Date: 25-Mar-88 09:55 EST
Subject: Re: Help with ftp
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac

> I've just tried my first ftp from sumex-aim.  I used binary ftp and got a
> Stuffit file onto my vax.  What I'm having problems with is getting the file
> from the vax to my mac.  I've tried all variations on Kermit, but Stuffit
> always rejects the result because of a "bad header".  I've also tried a thing
> called macput that came with Sumacc many years ago.  Again, no luck.  Can
> anybody help?

    You should be using ascii ftp.  The stuff archived on sumex-aim is
in 'hqx' format.  You can use the 'Decode binhex file' menu choice in
Stuffit to unhex most of these (I have had problems unhexing some Binhex
files in Stuffit), but they must be ascii files.

	Mark Perkins

Internet:  mark@vml.psych.nyu.edu	(that's VEE-EM-ELL)
Usenet:    {seismo|ihnp4|allegra}!cmcl2!vml!mark
US Mail:   Department of Psychology, NYU
	   6 Washington Place, room 970
	   New York, NY 10003
Phone:	   (212) 998-7861

UD069225@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Eric H. Romo) (03/26/88)

There is a file from info-mac(also macserve aat pucc) that works like
the Font/DA Mover except its specifically for FKeys. Its called
FKEY-MANAGER.HQX.2    and those on BITNET can get it with this
interactive message-- tell macserve at pucc get FKEY-MANAGER.HQX.2    .