[comp.sys.mac] TOPS problem

paulm@nikhefk.UUCP (Paul Molenaar) (01/14/88)

At the editorial office of Personal Computer Magazine in Amsterdam (that's
in Holland ;) we've set up a smll Tops network, connecting
one  AT-compatible and one Mac SE. This mainly because the guy using
the AT has desire to use my LaserWriter ;)

Installing Tops went pretty fluently, but there's some minor quirk
with Tops on the Mac-side. It doesn't recognize my system (4.2) to
be HFS (!). Therefore, when I mount the AT's harddisk on the Finder,
I get a 'flat' directory, without folders. Any1 a clue? Also, would
it be possible to 'publish' the SE's internal harddisk at startup,
without having to do so manually?

Configuration:

Mac SE/hd
Systemset 5.0 (not using the MultiFinder)

Copam AT-compatible

Think we're using the latest versions... Bought the package only
recently.
--
        Paul Molenaar

	"Just checking the walls"
		- Basil Fawlty -

perl@ptsfa.UUCP (R. Perlman) (01/15/88)

In article <300@nikhefk.UUCP> you write:
>Installing Tops went pretty fluently, but there's some minor quirk
>with Tops on the Mac-side. It doesn't recognize my system (4.2) to
>be HFS (!). Therefore, when I mount the AT's harddisk on the Finder,
>I get a 'flat' directory, without folders. Any1 a clue?

Check your manual.  A current limitation of TOPS is that it can
only read the top directory in a mounted PC disk -- not
sub-directories.  This may be fixed in release 2.0.  We have
found it better to mount individual sub-directories anyway.  It
is faster when starting up and changing drives in dialog windows.
You also only XSYNC (/U option in TOPS PUBLISH) the minimal
number of directories.

>Also, would it be possible to 'publish' the SE's internal harddisk
>at startup, without having to do so manually?

This IS fixed in release 2.0.  At least according to TOPS'
publicity... we're still running 1.8.

--
-------
Richard Perlman  Rm. 1E300, 2600 Camino Ramon, San Ramon, CA 94583

cosmos@druhi.ATT.COM (GuestRA) (01/15/88)

We use TOPS to do what you want.  I wonder what version of TOPS you're
running.  You should have or get 2.0, which is the latest.
Ron Guest
ihnp4!druhi!cosmos

korn@apple.UUCP (Peter "Arrgh" Korn) (01/20/88)

In article <4018@ptsfa.UUCP> perl@ptsfa.UUCP (R. Perlman) writes:

>In article <300@nikhefk.UUCP> someone wrote:
>>Installing Tops went pretty fluently, but there's some minor quirk
>>with Tops on the Mac-side. It doesn't recognize my system (4.2) to
>>be HFS (!). Therefore, when I mount the AT's harddisk on the Finder,
>>I get a 'flat' directory, without folders. Any1 a clue?
>
>Check your manual.  A current limitation of TOPS is that it can
>only read the top directory in a mounted PC disk -- not
>sub-directories.  This may be fixed in release 2.0.

This isn't a limitatin of TOPS.  Rather it's part of the AFP spec. (that
stands for Apple Filing Protocall).  Unfortunately I don't have my
Appletalk Bible handy, so I can't quote chapter and verse; but basically
there are differences in the way that directories are implemented under
DOS vs. HFS; enough so that a feature needed for HFS isn't there in the
DOS envorinment resulting in the inability to make a one-to-one directory
mapping from DOS to HFS (ie you have to make each directory on a DOS volume
act as an MFS volume of it's very own, and mount them seperately).

Sorry for the lack of details; this is from a skimming of AFP two months
ago.

Peter
--
 Peter "Arrgh" Korn    korn@apple.com   !hplabs!amdahl!apple!korn    "Hi mom!"

sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (03/27/88)

For some time now I've had my Leading Edge model D on an Appletalk network
by using a TOPS board and software.  On Thursday I upgraded the machine
by adding a Quadram 386XT board.  Now there seems to be a problem.

Though the TOPS software runs perfectly, the Leading Edge no longer seems
to be sending anything to the TOPS board (yes, I'm still loading the
board's driver on boot).  In other words, other nodes on the system don't
know that the Leading Edge has been booted and that it has published
volumes to the network nor does the Leading Edge notice that other nodes
have published volumes (yes, I've check the cables very carefully - all
are tightly connected).

Does anyone out there know more about this than I do?  I haven't a clue
where to start looking for a solution.  Please help if you can ...

Jan Harrington, sysop
Scholastech Telecommunications
UUCP: ihnp4!husc6!amcad!stech!sysop or allegra!stech!sysop
BITNET: JHARRY@BENTLEY

	Miscellaneous profundity:

		"No matter where you go, there you are."
				Buckaroo Banzai