[comp.sys.mac] Questions about MacII

wnh@Stride.COM (Wilbur Harvey) (03/27/88)

Is there anyone who has, or knows of the following items for the Mac II

    Disk installation routines for a CDC 311Mb SCSI winchester.

    Utility to allow you to read disk blocks, modify disk blocks, and
        the same for system ram.

    Utility to clear whatever gets changed when the system bombs so that
        you can use your hard disk again. Does any one know what it is
        that gets trashed.

    Are there any Mac bulletin boards on the west coast?

    Is there a Kermit for the Mac II.

    Is there a printer driver for an HP paintjet for the Mac II. The printworks
        from SoftStyle causes the system to crash and make the hard disk
        inaccessable (permanently).

    Are there any recommendations for a good "C", or "C++" programming
        environment for the Mac II.

--
                            wnh@stride.COM
                      Stride Product Group, R&D

jasst3@cisunx.UUCP (Jeffrey A. Sullivan) (03/29/88)

In article <755@stride.Stride.COM>, wnh@Stride.COM (Wilbur Harvey) writes:
> Is there anyone who has, or knows of the following items for the Mac
>     Utility to allow you to read disk blocks, modify disk blocks, and
>         the same for system ram.
I believe MacSnoop will do this.  There is a new Mac II compatible version
which has come out in the past 2 months.  It allows DISK editing.  It takes
the place of FEDIT which went commericial.

>     Utility to clear whatever gets changed when the system bombs so that
>         you can use your hard disk again. Does any one know what it is
>         that gets trashed.

With CMS HDs, you get a ZapPRAM util which clears parameter ram (the part
of ram that gets clobbered).  However, you can do this yourself by holding
down shift-opt-cmd and choosing the control panel from the apple menu.
The _real_ fix is an INIT that you put in your system file that keeps the
AUX part of PRAM (so I've heard) from clobbering your disk stuff after bombs.
I don't know what it does, but it works like a charm!  It's on MACSERVE@PUCC
and info-mac at sumex.  I posted it to comp.binaries.mac, but I don't know if it got put up yet.

>     Is there a Kermit for the Mac II.
I think the latest version of MacKermit is not fully debugged, and I don't know
if it is Mac II compatible.  To do simple file xfers with kermit, use any
decent commerical comm pkg, and it'll have kermit.  I use and love VersaTerm,
which has a great VT100 emulatiobn to boot.

>     Is there a printer driver for an HP paintjet for the Mac II.
I _think_ that there is some kind of grappler+ interface for the mac that has
HPxxxjet drivers with it.

>     Are there any recommendations for a good "C", or "C++" programming
>         environment for the Mac II.
LightSpeedC by Think technologies.  It is absolutely WONDERFUL!  Fast program
turnaround and an enjoyable integrated environment.  A new upgrade (3.0) will
be out soom with source-level debugger and "other goodies."

Jeffrey Sullivan			  | University of Pittsburgh
jas@cadre.dsl.pittsburgh.edu		  | Intelligent Systems Studies Program
jasper@PittVMS.BITNET, jasst3@cisunx.UUCP | Graduate Student