[comp.sys.mac] Quitting the Finder under MF

jdm@ut-emx.UUCP (Jim Meiss) (03/23/88)

	More on the continuing saga of weird behavior under Multifinder on
a 1Meg Plus:
	When you last heard from me I claimed that the default partition given
to PrintMonitor (78K for mine, though some claim it should be 80K) was
to small. So I increased it to 120. Don't seem to be having problems with it
now...
	However when I was printing, I tried to launch Cricket Draw 1.1, and
probably there wasn't enough memory avaiable for it, so it immediately quit
(note that I didn't get the dialog from MF telling me this...).
What happened though, was that the finder quit too. So here I was running
PrintMonitor only, with the MF icon in the upper right, and no "Finder" in
the Desk accessory menu, or anywhere! Wow! I always wanted to be able to
run applications without the finder, and there I was. I still could get
to my DA's and they ran under the DA Handler, which upon quiting gave me
back PrintMonitor. I finally hit the debug button and got the finder
back by SM 0 A9F4, G 0. But the system was in an unstable state...As
was my heart.
	Anybody else seen something like this? Perhaps my mac has
the flu or some other virus!

				Jim Meiss
		 		jdm@emx.utexas.edu
				jdm%uta.MFENET@nmfecc.ARPA

goldman@Apple.COM (Phil Goldman) (03/24/88)

In article <1316@ut-emx.UUCP> jdm@ut-emx.UUCP (Jim Meiss) writes:
>What happened though, was that the finder quit too. So here I was running
>PrintMonitor only, with the MF icon in the upper right, and no "Finder" in
>the Desk accessory menu, or anywhere! Wow! I always wanted to be able to
>run applications without the finder, and there I was. I still could get
>to my DA's and they ran under the DA Handler, which upon quiting gave me
>back PrintMonitor. I finally hit the debug button and got the finder
>back by SM 0 A9F4, G 0. But the system was in an unstable state...As
>was my heart.

Just like any other application, the Finder can crash.  When this happens, the
user is not informed since it is the job of the Finder to do the informing.
When you quit all other apps, a new Finder will automatically be launched.
Until then, you are running "Finder-less".

One more note:  There is nothing in MultiFinder that prevents the Finder from
quitting, there is simply no way for the user to convince the Finder to do so.

-Phil Goldman
Apple Computer

flowers@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Margot Flowers) (03/29/88)

In article <7767@apple.Apple.Com> goldman@apple.UUCP (Phil Goldman) writes:
>One more note:  There is nothing in MultiFinder that prevents the Finder from
>quitting, there is simply no way for the user to convince the Finder to do so.

It would be nice if a command for this were added, since there are
many reasons (in a memory-limited world) that one would need to do
this.