[comp.sys.mac] A/UX: help!

earleh@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Earle R. Horton) (03/25/88)

We have a Mac II here with A/UX on it, and an EtherTalk board installed,
and Ethernet cable plugged right into it.  In short, the thing is ready to
go, except for the famous SIMM shortage.  Today we finally broke down and
bought a 1 Meg memory upgrade kit, tired of waiting.  I booted UNIX on the
Mac, for the first time, and the thing came up in SINGLE USER mode!  Huh?
After some experimentation and browsing through "man" pages and poking into
the contents of sub-directories of /etc, I deduced that the name of the
EtherTalk interface must be "ae0", that it wanted the hardware address of
the EtherTalk board placed in /etc/ethers.  Also that typing "init 2" would
get me something that looked like multi-user mode, and I could run the
"term" program if I started up the toolbox daemon.  Well, I supplied the
necessary addresses everywhere it looked like they should go, gave the thing
a hostname, "ifconfig"ed "ae0" into an up state, and tried "telnet"ing to an
RT located about 5 feet away.

I don't know what surprised me more, the fact that it took FIVE MINUTES to
make the connection, or that it finally did make it ("Wow, guys, we're on
the network!")  I even managed to ftp over a full hosts table from the RT,
after another FIVE MINUTE wait for the connection.  Rlogin, no luck.  Rcp,
rsh, also no luck.  I tried telneting in from another host, and got this:

Trying...
Connected to northstar40.dartmouth.edu.
Escape character is '^]'.
**** MINUTES ****
^]/usr/ucb/telnet >send ayt
**** ONE MINUTE ****
[YES]

A/UX Apple UNIX (northstar40)

login: root
password:
<Normal UNIX session follows.  Ho, hum, boring.  Everything seems normal
 now.  Strongly resist the temptation to "rm -r /usr/src/emacs" which is
 taking up 15 Megs of the 80 Meg SCSI.>

Looking through the spiral-bound installation manual, I see that we need a
System Administrators Manual (ordered) and a Network Administrators Manual,
which is EXTRA, and we have to get the net manual from ADPA.  And you need
"Programming Experience" if you hope to use NFS.  No, no, no!  It just
doesn't have to be this hard!

I don't think there's anything wrong with the EtherTalk board, since when
run in native Macintosh mode, the Chooser finds every Zone, LaserWriter, and
AppleShare server on campus in less time than it takes to double-click.  But
when I try to do anything with it with UNIX running, I get the distinct
impression that somebody's out to lunch.  Well, I guess we'll get the
manuals, someday.  In the mean time, does anybody have:

     a)  A shell script for bringing up the EtherTalk board.
     b)  Instructions on getting this sucker to boot normally?
     c)  Hints, suggestions of any kind.

I seriously think all we need is about three lines of shell script, and
maybe a paragraph of instructions from someone who has gone this route
before, and we can get this sucker in gear.  It's got a long way to go to
catch up with the RTs, which run 4.3 BSD, speak AppleTalk, and are
thoughtfully supplied with about 50 Megs of swap space each.

Caio.

*Earle R. Horton, H.B. 8000, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH 03755   *

buzz@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Mahboud Zabetian) (03/27/88)

In article <8462@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU> earleh@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Earle R. Horton) writes:
>manuals, someday.  In the mean time, does anybody have:
>
>     a)  A shell script for bringing up the EtherTalk board.
>     b)  Instructions on getting this sucker to boot normally?
>     c)  Hints, suggestions of any kind.
>
>I seriously think all we need is about three lines of shell script, and
>maybe a paragraph of instructions from someone who has gone this route
>*Earle R. Horton, H.B. 8000, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH 03755   *

You don't need a shell.  A/UX, if configured well, does all the ifconfig stuff
and all that at boot time.

First thing you should do is to edit the /etc/inittab.  Follow the directions
in the file itself, but also change the initdefault line(2nd line??) where it
says initdefault:s: to initdefault:2:.  That puts you in multiuser mode at boot
time.  Now do this:

	/etc/newunix nfs
	/etc/newunix bnet
	/etc/newunix toolbox
	/etc/ifconfig -v -o /unix -S /startup  (not sure of this line, check
						your install/admin manual)
This would make a new kernel that supports nfs, bnet and the toolbox.  Before
you do this, make sure you undo all the stuff you did manually(like changing the
the ae0 file) since when you reboot the machine it will prompt you for info, and
it will do it cleaner and better(we don't have any of the delays you are talking
about, so something must be wrong).

Good luck.
--
Mahboud Zabetian				buzz@phoenix.princeton.edu
183 Little Hall 					(609) 520-1271

kateley@Apple.COM (Jim Kateley) (03/28/88)

In article <8462@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU> earleh@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Earle R. Horton) writes:
>bought a 1 Meg memory upgrade kit, tired of waiting.  I booted UNIX on the
>Mac, for the first time, and the thing came up in SINGLE USER mode!  Huh?
>                                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

When shipped, A/UX comes up in single user mode.  I suppose this is
because when you first configure it, you need to reboot and its faster
if you don't have to shutdown from multiuser mode first.  If you want
to always come up into multiuser mode, you can edit the second line of
your /etc/inittab file.

[Stuff here about not being able to telnet well, and asking about
an easy was to config the ethertalk board]

There's about two pages in the release notes on how to set up the
A/UX kernel for TCP/IP, NFS, and YP (Yellow Pages).  The main work
is editing the /etc/inittab file so all the daemons start when you
bring the system up.  If you look on page 3-3 of the A/UX Release Notes,
Version 1.0, you will find info on how to set that file up.  After that,
all you have to do is run /etc/newunix and /etc/autoconfig which will
rebuild your kernel for whatever networking you want.  On my machines, I
edited six lines in my /etc/inittab (I'm not typing them here because
it would take too much space) and then, in single user mode, issued
these commands:

/etc/newunix nfs
/etc/autoconfig -u -v -o /unix -S /etc/startup

(The above lines are on page 3-5 in the release notes)

My kernel was rebuilt, and I rebooted:

sync;sync;sync;reboot.

I now have TCP/IP and NFS up.  I've been able to remote mount
directories from my 80Meg A/UX box to my 40Meg A/UX box, and have
used NCSA Telnet 2.1e, and the CITI MacIP v1.6 drivers to log onto
both A/UX boxes from a MacOS MacII on my Ethernet.  Autoconfig makes it
easy to set this stuff up. Additionally, if you move cards from
one slot to another, Autoconfig will "see" it on boot up and
re-configure everything for you.  I set followups to comp.unix.aux,
so see you there!

>Caio.
>
>--
>*Earle R. Horton, H.B. 8000, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH 03755   *

Jim Kateley          UUCP: {sun, voder, nsc, mtxinu, dual}!apple!kateley
S,P,HnS!             DOMAIN: kateley@apple.COM  Applelink: kateley1
Disclaimer:   What I say, think, or smell does not reflect any policy or
	      stray thought by Apple Computer, Inc.

phil@Apple.COM (Phil Ronzone) (03/29/88)

In article <8462@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU> earleh@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Earle R. Horton) writes:
>We have a Mac II here with A/UX on it, and an EtherTalk board installed,
>and Ethernet cable plugged right into it.  In short, the thing is ready to
>go, except for the famous SIMM shortage.  Today we finally broke down and
>bought a 1 Meg memory upgrade kit, tired of waiting.  I booted UNIX on the
>Mac, for the first time, and the thing came up in SINGLE USER mode!  Huh?
> ... Also that typing "init 2" would
>get me something that looked like multi-user mode, and I could run the
>when I try to do anything with it with UNIX running, I get the distinct
>impression that somebody's out to lunch.  Well, I guess we'll get the
>     a)  A shell script for bringing up the EtherTalk board.
>     b)  Instructions on getting this sucker to boot normally?

Well, Earl, your basic problem is that in 2MB of main memory, the system
is swapping itself to death. Normal, recommended main memory, for A/UX
OR SUN OS or IBM RT, whether SV or 4.3 is at least 4MB.

UNLESS you have a pre-release of A/UX, you do NOT need anything extra
to configure ethernet boards. You should have been prompted for the Internet
address, domaon name and broadcast address. Ifconfig and all other pieces
of software run automagically. We, and others not affiliated with Apple
ROUTINELY plug our little suckers in and they talk & work with SUNs, RTs
and so on.

may I inquire if someone has hacked some of the scripts in /etc and/or
if you have a prerelease (/etc/RELEASE_ID says other than 1.0)?

Also, in the SV world, init 2 gets you to multiuser mode. A SV user
can sit vainly typing init 2 on a 4.x BSD system instead of CTL-D when
in single-user mode and mutter the same (???) about the system being out to
lunch.

Hope this helps.
Philip K. Ronzone, A/UX Technical Manager                   APPLELINK: RONZONE1
Apple Computer, Mail Stop 27AJ, 10500 N. DeAnza Blvd.  Cupertino, CA  95014
UUCP:  ...!{sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual,unisoft}!apple!phil