[comp.sys.mac] Where did my DAs go?

vangelde@cisunx.UUCP (Timothy J Van) (03/29/88)

When running under Multifinder, I select a DA and the machine just makes
insolent noises at me.
If I press option first, though, they appear as normal.

I know this doesnt happen to everyone, so - where did my DAs go? What is
wrong with my system? What can I do to escape this annoying little problem?

I have 2 megs internal, so memory should not be a problem.

Any suggestions appreciated... (I take it there is an easy answer somewhere
in the vicinity, I'm just sick of trying to find it.)

Tim van Gelder
vangelde@vms.cis.pittsburgh.edu

jcc@ut-emx.UUCP (J. Chris Cooley) (03/30/88)

In article <8176@cisunx.UUCP>, vangelde@cisunx.UUCP (Timothy J Van) writes:
> When running under Multifinder, I select a DA and the machine just makes
> insolent noises at me.
> I know this doesnt happen to everyone, so - where did my DAs go? What is
> wrong with my system? What can I do to escape this annoying little problem?
> Any suggestions appreciated... (I take it there is an easy answer somewhere
> in the vicinity, I'm just sick of trying to find it.)

Yes, very easy.

You are missing the system file called "DA Handler".  It's a file that comes
with the MultiFinder stuff and sits in your system folder, waiting for you
to invoke a DA without holding down the option key.

goldman@Apple.COM (Phil Goldman) (03/30/88)

In article <8176@cisunx.UUCP> vangelde@cisunx.UUCP (Timothy J Van) writes:
>When running under Multifinder, I select a DA and the machine just makes
>insolent noises at me.
>If I press option first, though, they appear as normal.

It sounds like you threw away the file "DA Handler" from the system folder.  If
you replace it DAs will work again.

-Phil Goldman
Apple Computer