[comp.sys.mac] Protection for folders...

mmccann@hubcap.UUCP (Mike McCann) (03/29/88)

Does anyone know if there are any software packages that write-protect
folders on the Mac?  I would like to protect the folders so that the
application in the folder can be run (and other files in there can be
accessed) but none can be written to or deleted and no other files can
be put into the folder.

If you have any suggestions, let me know...Thanks...
Mike McCann

krm@aluxz.UUCP (Kurt Marko) (03/31/88)

In article <1249@hubcap.UUCP> mmccann@hubcap.UUCP writes:
>Does anyone know if there are any software packages that write-protect
>folders on the Mac?  I would like to protect the folders so that the
>application in the folder can be run (and other files in there can be
>accessed) but none can be written to or deleted and no other files can
>be put into the folder.
>
>If you have any suggestions, let me know...Thanks...
>Mike McCann

There's a nifty little cdev that does just what you've asked for.  It's
called "The Guard Dog" from Nemesis Systems.  It lets you lock folders,
and files and prevents files from being copied.  Unfortunately, it
doesn't allow selection of specific folders or disk volumes to be locked,
it locks the entire desktop, however it does allow "knowledgeable" users
to disable it by holding down the Control key while "mousing".  This
feature seems designed for systems frequented by less experienced users
as sort of a fail safe (they can use it but not inadvertantly screw it up).
The shareware fee for Guard Dog is $20; check your favorite BBSs for
availability.

Kurt Marko
{ihnp4,...most_gateways...}!aluxz!krm