[comp.sys.mac] StartUp Screen vs DeskTop Background

bruce@voysys.UUCP (Bruce Beare) (03/18/88)

Is there any way to make a picture (startup screen) the desktop 'backdrop' ?
Note, this is different then just using a different startup screen - I'd like
this to be permanent, and saved/restored when windows are moved around.

		Bruce Beare
		Voysys Corporation
		Sunnyvale, Ca.

		..!pyramid!ctnews!voysys!bruce

hallett@lear.steinmetz (Jeff A. Hallett) (03/21/88)

In article <223@voysys.UUCP> bruce@voysys.UUCP (Bruce Beare) writes:
>Is there any way to make a picture (startup screen) the desktop 'backdrop' ?
>Note, this is different then just using a different startup screen - I'd like
>this to be permanent, and saved/restored when windows are moved around.

You can get an INIT from Sumex-Aim called Backdrop that will do what
you wish.  It will take your current startupscreen and make it the
Finder backdrop.  Pretty slick.

Jeffrey A. Hallett                     | ARPA: hallett@ge-crd.arpa
Software Technology Program    	       | UUCP: desdemona!hallett@steinmetz.uucp
GE Corporate Research and Development  | (518) 387-5654
+--------------------------------------+--------------------------------------+
|                            Credo Quia Absurdum Est                          |

ps01@bunny.UUCP (Paul Suh) (03/25/88)

In article <223@voysys.UUCP> bruce@voysys.UUCP (Bruce Beare) writes:
>Is there any way to make a picture (startup screen) the desktop 'backdrop' ?
>Note, this is different then just using a different startup screen - I'd like
>this to be permanent, and saved/restored when windows are moved around.
>
>		Bruce Beare

There's an INIT/CDEV called Color Desk by Paul Mercer which will do just
that on a Mac II.  We have a Beta version floating around here, and it
gets a lot of oohs and aahs.  Two problems: it's a memory hog (~300k!!)
and I have no idea where to get a real released copy.  Not much that
anyone can do about the first, but anybody know about the second?

					--Paul

tjj3901@fedeva.UUCP (Dataman) (03/31/88)

In article <10017@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP>, hallett@lear.steinmetz (Jeff A. Hallett) writes:
> In article <223@voysys.UUCP> bruce@voysys.UUCP (Bruce Beare) writes:
> >Is there any way to make a picture (startup screen) the desktop 'backdrop' ?
>
> You can get an INIT from Sumex-Aim called Backdrop that will do what
> you wish.  It will take your current startupscreen and make it the
> Finder backdrop.  Pretty slick.

Would someone please be kind enough to post "Backdrop" ??
Our site (and probably many others) doesn't have access to Sumex-Aim.

Thanks!!

--
 Tom Jeanette ( ...!gatech!emcard!fedeva!dataman)

 `Peace on Earth' was all it said ...