[comp.sys.mac] Apple Challenges HP New Wave, MS-Wi

gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (03/22/88)

Clearly there is some kind of copyright on a user interface and you
should not be allowed to completely clone an interface (so I could
walk up to a PC an operate it using my knowledge of the Macintosh).
This is especially true because professional graphic artists are used
by today's workstation vendors to make their graphics aesthetically
pleasing.

HOWEVER, most industries thrive on reverse-engineering and technology
copying.  Why do you think DRAMs are so cheap?  Because whoever gets a
4Mb part to work will have a 6-month head start before the other
companies can copy the ideas, if not the lithography itself.  If NEC
can clone an 8088 with impunity, why can't Microsoft Clone a Mac
interface?  The answer is that they can.

As was said earlier, MANY ideas of the macintosh cannot be protected
because they don't come from Apple.  In fact, you could say that
Apple's innovations were mainly related to 1-button mouses, and the
look of scrollbars and fonts.  That would just about summarize
everything.

I for one believe someone will call Apple's bluff in the next few
years and Apple will lose big in court.  Then it will be open-season
on the macintosh interface.  And rightly so.  Apple should not be
applauded so much for its innovation, as it should be applauded for
bringing high-end technology to a low-end machine.  This is the main
innovation in the macintosh.

Don Gillies {ihnp4!uiucdcs!gillies} U of Illinois
            {gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu}

macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak) (03/23/88)

I certainly am no lawyer, but it seems to me that the folks criticizing the
Apple lawsuit are generalizing things too much.  I doubt that the law in cases
like this is so non-specific.

If you read the text of the suit that was posted in an earlier article, Apple
is not suing Microsoft for an earlier version of windows, nor for a square
window, nor for using a mouse.  The suit notes several patents that Apple
feels are being infringed upon by the latest version of Windows.  The suit
refers to earlier agreements, but claims the bounds of those agreements
regarding Windows have beeen overstepped.

If we are going to be at all constructive in criticizing and discussing this
lawsuit, it seems to me we ought to be a bit more careful about letting our
emotions cloud the issue.  Read the lawsuit carefully and many of you will see
how far off-base your messages have been.

Jim

--

Jim -->  macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak)  {Standard disclaimer, nothin' fancy!}

rogue@well.UUCP (L. Brett Glass) (03/24/88)

In article <532@lakesys.UUCP> macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak) writes:
> I certainly am no lawyer, but it seems to me that the folks
> criticizing the Apple lawsuit are generalizing things too much. I
> doubt that the law in cases like this is so non-specific.

The above is a very general statement by itself. In fact, there
are few precedents, and some of them are contradictory.

> The suit notes several patents that Apple
> feels are being infringed upon by the latest version of Windows.  The suit
> refers to earlier agreements, but claims the bounds of those agreements
> regarding Windows have beeen overstepped.

Wrong. The suit lists no patents. Rather, it lists the
registration numbers of a handful of copyrights. It says nothing
about the way in which Apple claims Microsoft and/or HP are
supposedly infringing upon them.

> If we are going to be at all constructive in criticizing and
> discussing this lawsuit, it seems to me we ought to be a bit more
> careful about letting our emotions cloud the issue. Read the
> lawsuit carefully and many of you will see how far off-base your
> messages have been.

With all due respect, your fundamental errors above suggest that
perhaps you should take your own advice.

<rogue>

sfb@ut-emx.UUCP (Steve Bellenot) (03/24/88)

In article <76000164@uiucdcsp>, gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
> I for one believe someone will call Apple's bluff in the next few
							^^^^^^^^^^^
> years and Apple will lose big in court.  Then it will be open-season
^^^^^^^

As Apple says "we have it now" -- delays for big blue, HP and Microsoft
could be worth millions.

:-) each product has its window of sellability :-)

--
Steve Bellenot		sfb@emx.utexas.edu
if that returns try	sfb%emx@sally.utexas.edu

This isn't a very good disclaimer.

rusty@hodge.UUCP (Rusty Hodge) (03/25/88)

Blame the Patent Office.  They granted Apple patents on several key
parts of the user interface.  So legally, Apple can force people to
license the interface parts covered by the patents.

I don't know if you've ever looked at the patents for the Telebit
Trailblazer modems, but they are worded in such a way that they could
almost be applied to *any* modem.  They *do* have a patent on using
multiple carrier frequencies.  They also have a couple of patents on
techniques used in virtually all current modems.

In our law, it doesn't matter who did it first, but who got the
patents first.

--
Rusty Hodge, Hodge Computer Research Corp, Orange, CA 92667 (714) 974-6300
rusty@hodge.cts.com [ccicpg!arnold, crash]!hodge!rusty  FAX (714) 921-8038

gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (03/25/88)

No, Xerox did not invent the mouse.

But Xerox research proved that the mouse was superior to a variety of
other pointing devices (such as trackballs, joysticks, screen cursors,
and a peculiar device you held between your knees to operate!)

In the early seventies, one Xerox researcher (name escapes me) set out
to prove the mouse was a piece of junk.  He was convinced that other
means of input were far superior to a mouse.

So he began grabbing people off the street in Palo Alto, and had them
learn to edit using a variety of pointing devices.  Suprisingly,
people who used the mouse learned faster in almost all cases.  And
at the end of the test, people preferred the mouse over the other
forms of input.  He proved himself wrong!

greg@bilbo (Greg Wageman) (03/31/88)

In article <146@hodge.UUCP> rusty@hodge.UUCP (Rusty Hodge) writes:

>Blame the Patent Office.  They granted Apple patents on several key
>parts of the user interface.  So legally, Apple can force people to
>license the interface parts covered by the patents.

I'm not so sure that Apple has ANY patents on their user interface.
Software alone is EXTREMELY difficult to patent;  what Apple did is
copyright the "Audio-visual work" which is their screen display; this
prohibits unauthorized copying (no one else can produce a display like
that without Apple's consent.)  That doesn't prohibit anyone from
having an interface that WORKS like Apple's, so long as it doesn't
LOOK like Apple's.

>I don't know if you've ever looked at the patents for the Telebit
>Trailblazer modems, but they are worded in such a way that they could
>almost be applied to *any* modem.  They *do* have a patent on using
>multiple carrier frequencies.  They also have a couple of patents on
>techniques used in virtually all current modems.
>
>In our law, it doesn't matter who did it first, but who got the
>patents first.

But a key part of patent law is "prior art".  If a patent like
that is ever challenged in court, say because the patent holder trys
to enforce it, the defendant can show that the method was not original
to the patent holder, and the patent can be invalidated.  Patents can
be invalidated for other reasons, too, such as the invention being
"obvious" -- i.e. ANYONE could have thought of it, if they had the
need.  You can't patent simply anything you want; it must be worthy of
the law's protection.  Otherwise things would get out of hand with
everyone trying to make a quick buck by patenting anything and
everything, in order to charge other people for the privledge of using
it.

Patent law exists to protect ORIGINAL, NON-OBVIOUS, and USEFUL devices,
methods and processes.  The Patent Office examines a patent when it is
filed, to insure that it conforms to these requirements.  Sometimes,
they make mistakes; the patent can be challenged and the question is
decided in court.

Copyright exists to protect works of authorship, such as books, music,
software, and visual arts including video displays.  When someone,
such as a composer, believes that someone has infringed on his
copyright, he takes them to court.  For music, the courts have set up
some pretty clear guidelines on what constitutes an infringement.  If
an average person (they don't have to be any sort of musical expert,
or have any special qualifications) can detect a substantial
similarity, and there is a reasonable chance that the alleged infringing
author had prior exposure to the other work, then the work will be
considered infringing.  A recent
example of this was the John Lennon tune "My Sweet Lord", which was
found to infringe on the copyright of the song, "He's So Fine".  It
doesn't matter that there is or isn't INTENT to copy.  The court
determined that there was a reasonable chance that Lennon had had
exposure to the tune, and the jury could hear a substantial similarity
in the music.  On the other hand, if two composers who could not have
had exposure to the other's work produce similar tunes, they would not
be found infringing, because they were produced independently.

If similary criteria are applied in this case, then a substantial
similarity in appearance to the copyrighted Apple screens could result
in a determination of infringement.  There can be no question of prior
exposure, because one of the defendants had a limited license to the
Apple technology.  It's a matter of what criteria the court uses to
determine substantial similarity.

Please note:  The above is in no way to be construed as legal advice.
	      These are my opinions.  If you want legal advice, you
	      should consult a lawyer.  I am just a programmer who has
	      an interest in protecting his work.

Greg Wageman
Schlumberger Technologies  UUCP: ...!decwrl!spar!snjsn1!blfca1!greg
1601 Technology Drive      ARPA: greg@blfca1.com@spar.slb.com
San Jose, CA 95110         BIX:  gwage
(408) 437-5198             CIS:  74016,352

"Nest deeply, and carry a big stack."
The opinions expressed herein are solely the responsibility of the
author.

gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (03/31/88)

Apple may win in court, but I'd rather seem the company take the
money the spent on legal fees, and use it to pay psychologists,
researchers, and engineers, to come up with an even better user
interface.  It seems like a much more constructive thing to do.