[comp.sys.mac] Info on Concertware + 4.0

hallett@hamlet.steinmetz (Jeff A. Hallett) (03/24/88)

I have the following questions regarding Concertware+ v4.0 from Great
Wave.  If anyone has experience with it, I'd appreciate a resonse.

  1.  I am primarily interested in being able to enter music and have the
program play it back.  Does it do this?

  2.  Is there someway I can have it play a specific line?  Suppose I have
some SATB piece entered.  Is there someway I could have it play tenor only?
(even if I have to enter it a certain way...)

  3.  If I got the plain version, no MIDI, what would be involved in
upgrading to the MIDI version?  What hardware do you need to take
advantage of the MIDI capabilities?

Thanks much.

Jeffrey A. Hallett                     | ARPA: hallett@ge-crd.arpa
Software Technology Program    	       | UUCP: desdemona!hallett@steinmetz.uucp
GE Corporate Research and Development  | (518) 387-5654
+--------------------------------------+--------------------------------------+
|                            Credo Quia Absurdum Est                          |

mls@whutt.UUCP (SIEMON) (03/26/88)

In article <10067@steinmetz.steinmetz.ge.com>, hallett@hamlet.steinmetz (Jeff A. Hallett) writes:  [questions on ConcertWare]

>   1.  I am primarily interested in being able to enter music and have the
> program play it back.  Does it do this?

	Yes; entering is a bit kludgy (in several variant modes) but entirely
	doable (if you can read a line of music -- i.e., you don't need to
	be able to handle scoring/transposition yourself)

>   2.  Is there someway I can have it play a specific line?  Suppose I have
> some SATB piece entered.  Is there someway I could have it play tenor only?
> (even if I have to enter it a certain way...)

	Yes; in the non-MIDI version it plays any combination of up to 4 lines;
	the MIDI version allows 8 (which may or may not sound depending on your
	MIDI output device).  You set tempo, volume and voices from the main
	window.  They have an "instrument library" purporting to mimic various
	standard instruments -- and you can modify their attempts (that's fun).

>   3.  If I got the plain version, no MIDI, what would be involved in
> upgrading to the MIDI version?  What hardware do you need to take
> advantage of the MIDI capabilities?

	I'm not sure what the upgrade possibilities are [anyone else?]; it
makes sense to get the full +MIDI package to begin with (try one of the mail
order houses).  Even an el cheapo ($200 mail order) CZ-101 has MUCH better
sound quality than you can get out of your MAC (& I'm talking MAC II, here).
Besides a synthesizer, you need a MIDI interface.  It plugs into one of your
serial ports and is then cabled to the synthesizer.  There are several MIDI
interface boxes on the market, including a new one from Apple which runs
about $95, I think.  Several mail order houses carry the Passport interface
for about this same amount (& it comes with MIDI cables, which you'll need;
I don't know if Apple's includes cabling.)  With the MIDI version of Concert-
Ware you can enter stuff direct from a synthesizer keyboard -- at least if
you are better at playing to a metronome than I am; else you are reduced to
step-time entry; i.e. note-by-note -- it's still somewhat faster than from
the mouse/keyboard.

	Main complaint about ConcertWare: it only haphazardly follows the
Mac interface (e.g., no command-Q to exit!) and is Multifinder hostile.
A good cheap way to get reasonable play/record/print music capabilities,
without paying the arm+leg the better systems require.  Also, not copy
protected.

Michael Siemon
contracted to AT&T Bell Laboratories
ihnp4!mhuxu!mls
[ANSI] standard disclaimer

ack@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Andy J. Williams) (04/01/88)

In article <10067@steinmetz.steinmetz.ge.com> desdemona!hallett@steinmetz.UUCP (Jeffrey A. Hallett) writes:
>I have the following questions regarding Concertware+ v4.0 from Great
>Wave.  If anyone has experience with it, I'd appreciate a resonse.
>
>  1.  I am primarily interested in being able to enter music and have the
>program play it back.  Does it do this?

Yes, you can enter notes either by clicking the mouse on the scale (like
MusicWorks) or by using the keyboard.  It also supports chord entry.
Rests and all other musical notation are entered this way too.  The computer
plays it back using the instruments of your chosing.  The program provides a
great sampling of sounds and a program to synthesize your own.

>  2.  Is there someway I can have it play a specific line?  Suppose I have
>some SATB piece entered.  Is there someway I could have it play tenor only?
>(even if I have to enter it a certain way...)

Yes.
Just enter all your data normally.  You can choose to play any combination of
the 4 available lines.

>Jeffrey A. Hallett                     | ARPA: hallett@ge-crd.arpa
>Software Technology Program    	       | UUCP: desdemona!hallett@steinmetz.uucp
>GE Corporate Research and Development  | (518) 387-5654

-Andy

[innews fodder]
[innews fodder]
[innews fodder]
[innews fodder]

just say fieyrnt.
--
Andy J. Williams'90 |_   /| ACK!  |BITNET: ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
HB 509 Dartmouth Clg|\`o_O'Systems|UUCP:{ihnp4,decvax,linus}!dartvax!eleazar!ack