[comp.sys.mac] Maybe a Bug in Word 3.01

shinberd@unioncs.UUCP (David Shinberg) (03/31/88)

While working in MS Word 3.01 I came across a very interesting, but very
harmless bug.  I got a little confused when saving a file and Word asked
me to inserted Disk X into the drive.  Not knowing where Disk X was and
being to lazy to search for it (through the clutter on my desk) I hit
CMD-Period, to dismiss the dialiog box.  Fine it disapared just as expected.
Then I wanted to save the file on Disk Y.  Knowing this I inserted Disk Y into
the drive and then went to do a Save As.  A dialog box appeared asking me to
insert Disk Y.  But since Disk Y was already in the drive Word just went on
to save the file.  However It NEVER disposed of the dialog box requesting
Disk Y.  The interesting thing is that after the save everything seemed to
function normally except that part of my document was covered with a dialog
box.

BTW: I wasing using a MacII with MF, but I don't think MF is the entire
cause of the problem.  It seems that Word or the operating system wanted
a disk inserted event before it would dispose of the dialog box.

Sorry if this was a bit confussing, but it seemed interesting to me.

					Dave S

|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
| Disclaimer: Don't blame me ... I'm too new at this                          |
| David Shinberg		       BITNET: 88_shinb@union                 |
| Box 2073                             UUCP: uunet!steinmetz!unioncs!shinberd |
| Union College                                                               |
| Schenectady NY, 12308                                                       |

her3@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Benjamin 'Drew' Herman) (04/01/88)

In article <619@unioncs.UUCP> shinberd@unioncs.UUCP (David Shinberg) writes:
>While working in MS Word 3.01 I came across a very interesting, but very
>harmless bug.
>CMD-Period, to dismiss the dialiog box   [to insert the disk].
>Fine it disapared just as expected.

I'm working on a MAC PLUS and I tried the aformentioned CMD-Period....
OUCHHHHH!!!!.... this puppy did bad thiings to my disks. let me explain

I had a disk in the external drive. and was swapping disks in the internal
(oh to have a hard disk :*) ) anyway I made a similar mistake as Dave.
the computer asked for a disk that I had no Idea were was. being desperate
not to loose all my work I hit CMD-. and lo-and-behold the dialog box went
away to be replaced by insert startup disk...... and as I was thanking GOD
It ejected my startup disk and asked me to reinsert it. to make a long story...
My startup disk and the disk in the external drive were unreadable...unmountableNeedless to say I no longer do anything desperate when something happens.

Ben Herman
her3@sphinx.uchicago.edu

--
Internet: her3@sphinx.uchicago.edu