[comp.sys.mac] hard drive crash!

twakeman@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Teriann Wakeman) (03/29/88)

I am on my third Hyperdrive 20. They each lasted about 1 year before dying.
As I recall, they each died as a bomb right after asking the system to do
something, the last was a print command. If it can not be mounted from
another disk using drawers DA or the file manager I think your data is
gone (I hope you are better at regular backups then I am).

Luckily for me, when my drive first died, I sent a lone note to GC
complaining about the quality of their product and they inturn sent me a
free 2 year warrentee which paid for my last disc replacement. According
to my projections, this drive should die just before the warrentee runs out.
now if I can just remember to back-up the disc the day before it fails.....

If you are resgned to not being able to recover your data but want to see if the ol'Hyperdrive still has some life left in it here is the official
undocumented method for reformatting a disc (provide by a GC rep during a
phone call.

Hold down option & command keys then double click on the manager icon. Press
shift key untill a format disc dialog appears.

Hope you can save your data, if not hope the drive can be reformatted, if
not there's always Jasmine hard drives.

isle@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Ken Hancock) (04/02/88)

In article <430022@hpcea.CE.HP.COM> twakeman@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Teriann Wakeman) writes:
>Luckily for me, when my drive first died, I sent a lone note to GC
>complaining about the quality of their product and they inturn sent me a
>free 2 year warrentee which paid for my last disc replacement. According
>to my projections, this drive should die just before the warrentee runs out.
>now if I can just remember to back-up the disc the day before it fails.....

Actually, consider yourself lucky then...my equipment always dies out
just after the warrantee runs out...

Ken

--
Ken Hancock                        |    UUCP: isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu