[comp.sys.mac] If you ever use Font/DA Juggler, REMEMBER THIS!

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (04/03/88)

If you have used Font/DA Juggler at some time, perhaps I can recount a tale
of woe so that you will know the Nasty Signs when they occur:

I own both Suitcase 1.21 and Font/DA Juggler+.  I stopped using Font/DA
Juggler+ this week, because a) it won't work with FullWrite Professional
(not Alsoft's fault, Ann Arbor/Ashton Tate's), b) I was getting some
weird problems with DAs (e.g., pull down Control Panel in MultiFinder, would
whir a bit and then beep, giving me nothing.  After that, no DAs would pop
up.  Why?  Got me...), and c) I can't get DA's to appear in an application's
menubar (instead of the DA handler's menu bar) by holding down the Option
key when selecting the DA.

Anyway, I slipped Font/DA Juggler out of the System Folder and put Suitcase
in.  Fine.  Reboot, start HyperCard up.  Suddenly, the screen begins to
fizzle at intervals, along with the internal floppy drive whirring during
those same intervals.  What's going on?  Possession?  Virus?  Ack ack!

Using the famed "swap out cdevs and inits" method, I determine (after 1/2
hour) that when Suitcase is removed, everything works fine (except, I
haven't got any fonts).  OK, I figure one of my Font files got trashed and I
need to weed them out.  Spend 2 hours moving fonts around.  Reading the
Palatino font file cause Font/DA Mover to die.  Aha!  That must be the
problem.  Put new Palatino into LaserFonts Font file.  Reboot.  Start
Hypercard.  Whirr. Fizzle.  Whirr.  Fizzle.

By now, I'm sure of only one thing: if this is a virus, I'm going to kill
someone.  I put Font/DA Juggler Plus into the system and take out Suitcase.
Hey, everything works fine now!  Let me take a look at the Font/DA Juggler
Plus contol panel...

OOPS.

*Now* I remember... I used the "compress font" option under Font/DA Juggler
Plus.... F/DA Juggler knows how to deal with compressed fonts (it's their
feature, so they better!), Suitcase doesn't.  I forgot to de-compress them
before using them with Suitcase.

-----

Morals of the story:

1)  It almost certainly ain't a virus.

2)  If your machine is going "whirr-fizz-whirr-fizz", you now have a
    starting point.

                         The game of life is a game of boomerangs.  Our
                         thoughts, deeds and words return to us sooner or
                         later with astounding accuracy.

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, microsoft}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

ray@cup.portal.com (04/04/88)

>I own both Suitcase 1.21 and Font/DA Juggler+.  I stopped using Font/DA
>Juggler+ this week, because ...b) I was getting some weird problems
>with DAs (e.g., pull down Control Panel in MultiFinder, would
>whir a bit and then beep, giving me nothing.  After that, no DAs would pop
>up.

I've seen this same behavior whenever I put a new cdev in the system folder. I
always have to reboot with only the finder, open the control panel once, and
from then on everything is fine. I have a 2.5M Mac+, using F/DA J (though if it
truly won't work with FWP I'll switch back to Suitcase) and PowerStation and
every INIT and cdev you can think of. Anyone have a workaround?

>INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
>Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, microsoft}!fluke!moriarty

Ray Davidson
CIS : 71121,572
GENie : raydavidson
UUCP : ...sun!cup.portal.com!ray
Snail Mail:
22422 Walnut Circle South, #A
Cupertino CA 95014

jdm@ut-emx.UUCP (Jim Meiss) (04/04/88)

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer)  Writes:
|....b) I was getting some
|weird problems with DAs (e.g., pull down Control Panel in MultiFinder, would
|whir a bit and then beep, giving me nothing.  After that, no DAs would pop
|up.  Why?  Got me...), and c) I can't get DA's to appear in an application's
|menubar (instead of the DA handler's menu bar) by holding down the Option
|key when selecting the DA.

Well I have had some irreproducible problems like b) above using the
control panel and the chooser. However after reading the documentation more
carefully I noticed that
	-->> these DA's must be put in the System File.<<--
I don't think I have had problems since.
Now as to c) I easily launch a DA in the applications sector if I hold down
option before launching it (interestingly it works even if I press option
after pulling down the menu). So I don't understand your problem on this one.

I like Font/DA Juggler alot, but have never used Suitcase.

				Jim Meiss
		 		jdm@emx.utexas.edu
				jdm%uta.MFENET@nmfecc.ARPA

straka@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Straka) (04/04/88)

In article <1552@ut-emx.UUCP> jdm@emx.UUCP (James Meiss) writes:
>moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer)  Writes:
>|up.  Why?  Got me...), and c) I can't get DA's to appear in an application's
>|menubar (instead of the DA handler's menu bar) by holding down the Option
>|key when selecting the DA.

This is an MF issue.  When you hold down option BEFORE selecting the apple
menu, all of the DAs disappear so that you can easily select the application
switching items.  If you want a DA to appear in the application's memory
partition, you hold down the option key AFTER initially selecting the apple
menu, and BEFORE you release the mouse button on the DA selection.

Side question:  I just got f/da juggler plus on Friday.  I noticed that the
init is ~100-110K!  Before I really get into it, just what does this do to
the memory space that the system file uses under MF?  I am still running MF
with 1Meg until my memory upgrade gets in.
--
Rich Straka     ihnp4!ihlpf!straka

Advice for the day: "MSDOS - just say no."