[comp.sys.mac] xmodem->versaterm at 1200

flowers@CS.UCLA.EDU (03/31/88)

I'm having problems with downloading files using unix xmodem at
1200baud, with versaterm on the mac.  If I have a 9600baud link, it
works fine with versaterm set for text xmodem.  However, at 1200baud
(home line), the download never starts, and after a while I get an
error message.  Kermit sends however work fine at this speed.  Does
anyone know a way to get xmodem working at 1200 baud, or have other
suggestions?

thanks,
Margot Flowers   Flowers@CS.UCLA.EDU   ...!{ucbvax|ihnp4}!ucla-cs!flowers

cloos@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (James H. Cloos Jr.) (03/31/88)

In article <10780@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> flowers@CS.UCLA.EDU () writes:
>I'm having problems with downloading files using unix xmodem at
>1200baud, with versaterm on the mac.  If I have a 9600baud link, it
>works fine with versaterm set for text xmodem.  However, at 1200baud
>(home line), the download never starts, and after a while I get an
>error message.  Kermit sends however work fine at this speed.  Does
>anyone know a way to get xmodem working at 1200 baud, or have other
>suggestions?
>
>thanks,
>Margot Flowers   Flowers@CS.UCLA.EDU   ...!{ucbvax|ihnp4}!ucla-cs!flowers

I have a related problem.  A few weeks ago, Kermit became unuseable from the
UNIX system I've access to.  I'm using a Mac+ & VersaTerm PRO.  I've also
tried other copies of VT PRO, and copies of VersaaTerm.  None of them work
with the UNIX system.  They do work, however, w/ a VMS system here, and did
work w/ a now defunct HP-UX system.  The Unix system is running C-Kermit.

The system admin says that their Kermit hasn't been changed since the current
installation, about 1 yr before my problem began.  I also have not changed
the setup on V T Pro.

Anyone have any ideas??????

 	 James H. Cloos, Jr.	   	      "I *HATE* quotations"
   BITNET:	 cloos@crnlthry                         -Ralph Waldo Emerson
   INTERNET:	 cloos@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu         -(emphasis added)
   UUCP: {allegra!telsa,oravax,rochester,uw-beaver}!cornell!batcomputer!cloos
    or:		{gould,pyramid,oswego,rpicml}!batcomputer!cloos

straka@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Straka) (04/01/88)

In article <4250@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> cloos@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (James H. Cloos Jr.) writes:
|In article <10780@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU| flowers@CS.UCLA.EDU () writes:
||I'm having problems with downloading files using unix xmodem at
||1200baud, with versaterm on the mac.  If I have a 9600baud link, it
||works fine with versaterm set for text xmodem.  However, at 1200baud
||(home line), the download never starts, and after a while I get an
||error message.  Kermit sends however work fine at this speed.  Does
|
|I have a related problem.  A few weeks ago, Kermit became unuseable from the
|UNIX system I've access to.  I'm using a Mac+ & VersaTerm PRO.  I've also
|tried other copies of VT PRO, and copies of VersaaTerm.  None of them work
|with the UNIX system.  They do work, however, w/ a VMS system here, and did
|work w/ a now defunct HP-UX system.  The Unix system is running C-Kermit.

1) The basic (non-graphics) portions of VT 3.1 and VT-PRO 2.1 are identical.
2) I use xmodem (via mac{put,get} or umodem) on UNIX(R) SVR2 at 9600 and at
   1200, and have had no problems (except noisy lines and such).
3) (I don't use Kermit)
4) VT seems to be a VERY solid product; I suspect that the above problems are
   related to either VT parameter setup problems or, more likely, host system
   software changes or porting issues.  The 1200 baud one might even be a
   modem or stty-type problem.

On the UNIX side, macput and macget are pretty widely available and use
xmodem protocol.  I would suggest this as a starting point with some plain
text files and progress from there.
--
Rich Straka     ihnp4!ihlpf!straka

Advice for the day: "MSDOS - just say no."

betty@mhuxu.UUCP (E.E. Perry) (04/06/88)

> I have a related problem.  A few weeks ago, Kermit became unuseable from the
> UNIX system I've access to.  I'm using a Mac+ & VersaTerm PRO.  I've also

>  	 James H. Cloos, Jr.	   	      "I *HATE* quotations"
>    BITNET:	 cloos@crnlthry                         -Ralph Waldo Emerson
>    INTERNET:	 cloos@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu         -(emphasis added)
>    UUCP: {allegra!telsa,oravax,rochester,uw-beaver}!cornell!batcomputer!cloos
>     or:		{gould,pyramid,oswego,rpicml}!batcomputer!cloos

We also had a problem with VersaTerm Pro and some of our
UNIX systems (SUN 3/110's to be specific).  File transfers
in either direction would hang after the first packet.  It
turned out that something in either the SUN  or our network
interface was swallowing the control-M's we used as an
end-of-packet character.  Setting this character to
control-J (ASCII 10) on the SUN fixed the problem.

Betty Perry
{allegra|att-ih|...}!mhuxu!betty