[comp.sys.mac] Can anyone tell me his/her experience with CMS hard disks?

korfhage@CS.UCLA.EDU (04/05/88)

We are thinking about buying the 80 MB internal model for the Mac II and
would appreciate hearing about other's experiences.

   Willard Korfhage

   ARPA : korfhage@cs.ucla.edu
   UUCP : {ucbvax,ihnp4,randvax,trwrb!trwspp,ism780}!ucla-cs!korfhage

spector@vx2.GBA.NYU.EDU (David HM Spector) (04/05/88)

I have a CMS-80, its been running non-stop (24Hrs a day) since December 22,1987
and have had no problems.   Its a nice drive.  With drive prices falling
through the floor tho' it might be better (and cheaper!) to get the
CMS-300i (300Mb)...  after all if you're gonna get a BIG drive, why not
go all the way..?  :-)

David HM Spector				New York University
Senior Systems Programmer			Graduate School of Business
Arpa: SPECTOR@GBA.NYU.EDU			Academic Computing Center
UUCP:...!{allegra,rocky,harvard}!cmcl2!spector	90 Trinity Place, Rm C-4
MCIMail: DSpector				New York, New York 10006
AppleLink: D1161     CompuServe: 71260,1410     (212) 285-6080
"SJM 25, 'real nice guy' seeks SJF...  What? This ISN'T The Voice personals?!"

dumesny@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Alain Dumesny) (04/05/88)

To: korfhage@CS.UCLA.EDU
Subject: Re: Can anyone tell me his/her experience with CMS hard disks?
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac
Bcc:

I recently got my CMS Pro60 II (a segate drive) from Macland (very good
prices, 1-800-333-3353) and LOVE it (especially for $700 :-)

I would strongly recomend people to get CMS drives because they are very
cheap (depending where you buy them from) and come with a very good
formater/initializer that is pretty complete.  It include :
format - initialize - ID search - install new driver - tests (drive blocks,
and also an overnight test (long)) and also a lot of very nice goodies, such
as a graphical map of the drive, and some advance features such as fast HD
copy, reassign block...

Also, CMS include a few additonal software on the disk, such as :
- Apple SCSI installer (useless since CMS's one is MUCH better)
- HD backup (though I would recomend getting DiskFit from SuperMac)
- zaPRAM (to zap your PRAMs when you mac II get confused after bomb)
- initPRAM (to avoid the above, very nice)
- some other stuff...

CMS formatter is very nice (has lots of nice features), and I would recommend
getting DiskFit (SuperMac) and DiskExpress (do de-fragmentize the drive).

The CMS pro80 II uses a quantum drive (exactly the same drive Apple uses for
the 40 and 80 meg drive) which is quite fast, and you can get it from CMS
for a lot less, so why bother ?

Hope this helped,
Alain Dumesny
Cornell University.

evan@ndcheg.UUCP (Evan Bauman) (04/06/88)

In article <10886@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU>, korfhage@CS.UCLA.EDU writes:
> We are thinking about buying the 80 MB internal model for the Mac II and
> would appreciate hearing about other's experiences.

I can't tell you about the 80MB versions, but we have recently purchased 4
of the CMX Pro 60i for the Mac II.  The actual disk is a Seagate 277N
and is a snap to install and format. The access time isn't bad (~40 msec)
and above all, the price is right; about $685/disk through mail order.

	Evan Bauman
	Univ. of Notre Dame
	..!iuvax!ndcheg!evan

herbw@midas.TEK.COM (Herb Weiner) (04/06/88)

--------

I have a CMS internal 140 MB drive for my Mac II, and I am very happy with
it.  However, I hope I never have to reformat it and rebuild it from backup
BECAUSE THE SOFTWARE THAT CMS SENT ME DOES *NOT* SUPPORT THE 140 MB DRIVE!!
(Also, the manual they gave me is marked PRELIMINARY.)  I have tried to get
the latest software and manual directly from CMS as well as from my dealer,
but have been unsuccessful.

If anyone from CMS is listening, I would appreciate hearing from you.

                                    Herb Weiner
                                    UUCP: !tektronix!midas!herbw
                                    AppleLink: D0521