[comp.sys.mac] Toilet Bowl Icon / Apple

bob@imspw6.UUCP (Bob Burch) (04/02/88)

I would like to suggest that software developers who lack the funds
to fight legal wars over the extent to which their trash can resembles
Apple's begin to use a new icon for file deletion:  a sort of an avante-
guard toilet bowl, the lower section of which resembles a big red apple,
halved and cored.  Seems kind of fitting.

Ted Holden
HTE

rwhite@nusdhub.UUCP (Robert C. White Jr.) (04/05/88)

in article <24@imspw6.UUCP>, bob@imspw6.UUCP (Bob Burch) says:
> I would like to suggest that software developers who lack the funds
> to fight legal wars over the extent to which their trash can resembles
> Apple's begin to use a new icon for file deletion:  a sort of an avante-
> guard toilet bowl, the lower section of which resembles a big red apple,
> halved and cored.  Seems kind of fitting.

I don't know about that, the Apple is a registered trade mark.  Though
I hear that Apple Computer Inc. Is intending to sue the state of
Wahsington for in-accurately portraying themselves as the "apple
state" when they havent purchased a sufficient amount of hardware
from their local Apple(r) distributers.

I think the answer to all this is very simply this:

	Every icon in any windowing environment should wear a disclaimer.

"This [fill in name of icon, as in "trash can"] is fictional
any similarity to any other [name of icon], living or dead,
is purely coincidental."

Jus imagine dragging that around the screen.....

Rob.

roger@homxc.UUCP (searching for net.identity) (04/06/88)

In article <1017@nusdhub.UUCP>, rwhite@nusdhub.UUCP (Robert C. White Jr.) writes:
> I hear that Apple Computer Inc. Is intending to sue the state of
> Wahsington for in-accurately portraying themselves as the "apple
> state" when they havent purchased a sufficient amount of hardware
> from their local Apple(r) distributers.

Reminds me of when ComputerLand was preparing to sue the state
of Maryland for having the word "land" in their title.
If Maryland had lost, a whole lot of companies were ready
to sue the state of Delaware on account of "ware".

Probably would have driven the poor little place bankrupt 8-)

Roger Tait                           ..ihnp4!homxc!roger
(201) 949-1136
AT&T Bell Labs Technical Publications        Holmdel, NJ

(-; (-; "Where never is heard a discouraging word,
         and the skies are not cloudy all day." :-) :-)

dan@lclark.UUCP (Dan Revel) (04/08/88)

In article <24@imspw6.UUCP> bob@imspw6.UUCP (Bob Burch>Ted Holden?) suggests:

>...use a new icon for file deletion:  a sort of an avanteguard
>toilet bowl...

Now just wait a darned minute, I've been using a toilet icon for just that
for sometime now (ResEdit to redraw the icon and adjust appropriate menu
references (flush etc., sounds pretty good eh? sound effects, yeah...).

But wait, what if some toilet manufacturer objects?

--
dan@lclark
tektronix!reed!lclark!dan	"Set the way-back machine Sherman ... "