[comp.sys.mac] ImageWriter II Intermittant Problem

jdm@ut-emx.UUCP (Jim Meiss) (04/07/88)

	Several times my Imagewriter II has begun a new print job
by printing out the HEX codes instead of the proper characters.
I'm using an SE and driver version 2.6.
	The only way to stop it is to cancel the print job and turn
off the Imagewriter. It seems to happen with both MacWrite and Excel so
I don't think its application specific.  Last time, using Excel I got the
following printed out:

1B 3F 0D 1B 6F 1B 54 31 38 1B 72 0A 1B 66 0A 1B 4E 1B 21 1B 3E 1B 46 30 32
31 31 1E 47 30 33 30 33 30

These seem to translate into normal control characters to set up the printer,
except I don't understand the first which is " ESC ?" or
SELF ID according to the manual. Could this be the problem?
The stuff coming after the above the Hex appears to be the
bitmap of my printout.

Is there anyway that the Imagewriter could get into this mode-
printing out the HEX?
The manual doesn't seem to be of much help here-referring me to the Technical
manual, which of course being a mere owner, I don't have.

Anybody know whats going on?

				Jim Meiss
		 		jdm@emx.utexas.edu
				jdm%uta.MFENET@nmfecc.ARPA

gae@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (04/07/88)

This is a FEATURE of the ImageWriter II that you have unwittingly found.
If you hold down the delect button when you turn on printer on, then
it will print out in hex.  This is used for debugging the pringer, presumably.
Now the select button is so close to the on/off button, that you may sometimes
accidentally touch the select when you turn on.  The cure: turn off, then
carefully turn on without touching select.

--
  Gerald A. Edgar                               TS1871@OHSTVMA.bitnet
  Department of Mathematics                     gae@osupyr.UUCP

avalon@SSYX.UCSC.EDU (Scott A. McIntyre) (04/08/88)

+-In article <1623@ut-emx.UUCP>, jdm@ut-emx.UUCP (Jim Meiss) wrote:-

	[stuff about a Imagewriter Problem deleted]

I am having also a intermittant problem with my IWII and the one that is
used at my workplace.  The problem is that occasionally, not every page,
but every now adn then, the first line or two on the page is condensed up
and down, in other words, the line is scrunched so that letters are half
of their original height...width is not affected.

Whatever help you can offer would be appriciated

Scott A. McIntyre
avalon@ssyx.ucsc.edu
avalon@ucscb.ucsc.edu
avalon@ucsck.ucsc.edu

ps01@bunny.UUCP (Paul Suh) (04/08/88)

In article <8804071740.AA26083@ssyx.ucsc.edu> avalon%ssyx.UCSC.EDU@ucscc.UCSC.EDU writes:
>I am having also a intermittant problem with my IWII and the one that is
>used at my workplace.  The problem is that occasionally, not every page,
>but every now adn then, the first line or two on the page is condensed up
>and down, in other words, the line is scrunched so that letters are half
>of their original height...width is not affected.
>
>Scott A. McIntyre

This is a problem with the way paper is fed: via a push from where the
paper enters, rather than a pull from where it exits.  The seam at the
end of a page in a set of continuous feed paper hangs up for a little
bit when it hits the cover of the machine.  It is not as much of a problem
on the IW II as it is on the IW I, because of the different design.

For me (an IW I user), I leave the cover open so that the paper doesn't catch
on the cover.  I don't have an IW II handy, so I can't check if you can
do the same thing.  I think you can't because the way the cover is
designed on the IW II, if it's off, the printer won't operate.  If I
recall correctly, you may be able to detatch the clear plastic part, and
it will have the same effect, more or less.

The _BIG_ drawback is, of course, the increased noise level!

					--Paul