[comp.sys.mac] MacOS and A/UX compatibility

pkahn@meridian.ads.com (Phil Kahn) (04/08/88)

We will be receiving a MACII wit A/UX, and I have a few very important
questions that I haven't been able to adequately get answered:

1) Can A/UX run most MacOS compatible software? (From reading past
   flames on A/UX, it seems to me that A/UX will not be able to run
   most software which was written for MacOS. Is this due to Toolbox
   problems in A/UX? What else?)
2) Can a MACII configured for A/UX be run under MacOS? Two big
   questions come up: (a) does the MMU chip cause problems for MacOS?,
   and, (b) can files created un A/UX be accessed from MacOS (and vice
   versa)? If either of these is a problem, then there seems to be no
   way to simply run a program in one OS, then switch to the other OS
   and use files.
3) How are device drivers handled for A/UX? Specifically, if I want to
   hang an Optical WORM drive currently hooked to a SCSI port on a SUN,
   what will A/UX require to drive the WORM drive?

Please respond directly to me as well as the net (our recent move has
temporarily muddled our netmail lines).

Phil Kahn
ARPA: pkahn@ads.arpa

paul@unisoft.UUCP (n) (04/09/88)

--
Paul Campbell, UniSoft Corp. 6121 Hollis, Emeryville, Ca
	E-mail:		..!{ucbvax,hoptoad}!unisoft!paul