[comp.sys.mac] Use of "-land" :^)

merchant@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Peter Merchant) (04/08/88)

In article <1833@homxc.UUCP>, Roger Tait writes:
> Reminds me of when ComputerLand was preparing to sue the state
> of Maryland for having the word "land" in their title.
> If Maryland had lost, a whole lot of companies were ready
> to sue the state of Delaware on account of "ware".

Actually, the way I heard it, Computerland was sueing Businessland for the use
of "land" at the end of their name.  The judge through the case out,
commenting "Who are you going to sue next?  Disneyland?"

Well, I thought it was cute.
---
"Nothing can stop me now..."            Peter Merchant (merchant@eleazar.UUCP)

xxx612@unh.UUCP (Paul A. Sand) (04/10/88)

In article <8595@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU>, merchant@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Peter Merchant) writes:

> Actually, the way I heard it, Computerland was sueing Businessland for the use
> of "land" at the end of their name.  The judge through the case out,
> commenting "Who are you going to sue next?  Disneyland?"

True, too true. Here's another you may not have heard: the first few
ComputerLands were called "Computer Shacks." (Check some old back
issues of BYTE, around '77.) But--guess who--Tandy put its lawyers on
the phone, and within the blink of an eye, ComputerLand was born
instead.

Oh, and this shouldn't be in this newsgroup. Or anywhere, probably. Sorry.

--
-- Paul A. Sand                      | Eliot's Disclaimer:
-- University of New Hampshire       |     That is not what I meant at all.