[comp.sys.mac] Transfering Text--An Old Request, but Corrected...

slb@drutx.ATT.COM (Sue Brezden) (04/07/88)

Well, I posted this request before--but I blew it, as I so often
do.  So here goes again.

I have a friend who would like to transfer some text files from
his Apple IIc (that's the error, I said IIe the last time, never
could hear right, even when I wasn't old and gray), to a Mac
512.

He would like to know how to cable the two together, and what
software he needs.  He does have cables to the Imagewriter II
for each.  Is it possible to hook those together with some sort
of null modem?

He isn't on the net, but I will transfer the info to him, posted
or emailed.

Thanks again...
--
                                             Sue Brezden
                                             ihnp4!drutx!slb

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (04/11/88)

In article <7112@drutx.ATT.COM> slb@drutx.ATT.COM (Sue Brezden) writes:

>He would like to know how to cable the two together, and what
>software he needs.  He does have cables to the Imagewriter II
>for each.  Is it possible to hook those together with some sort
>of null modem?
>                                             Sue Brezden

Well, in general, as far as software goes, you'll need two communications
programs.  But you can sometimes sneak by on the Apple side (or from IBMs)
without one.  On Apple's, you write a short basic program.  On IBM', you can
send the output of a "type" to the serial port.  But it's best to use
software, such as MacTerm 2.2 (? or is it higher), and ProTerm for the Apple.

As for the cable, well, one could go on forever here.  But, yes, in general,
a null modem from the imagewrite (or any printer) cables should work.  Or to
modems.  All that you have to make sure of is that pin 2 of the connected
from one computer gets to pin three of the other.  For both, of course.  If
you have an Apple <-> Apple connection ( I think you can sing this on the
Mac as well, though I don't recall how necessary the modem control lines are
to the mac in COMM mode.  In printing mode, untied lines are basically
ignored.  The reason why macs go off and try to print anyway, even when
nothing's connected.), you only need pins 2,3 and 7.

Note that when I say "pins" I mean the pins on a DB25 connecter.  They have
assignments for each pin. Now, the Apple world doesn't seem to like DB25's,
they use 9's, 8's or 5's.  And if you look in a book somewhere, you can get
the pin names for the different connectors.

Now, isn't this fun?

Sean the connecter Kamath

--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs ihnp4}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET: reed!kamath@PSUVAX1.BITNET