[comp.sys.mac] Applecolor Monitor Jitters

chow@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) (03/31/88)

Several months ago there was some discussion on a particular behavior of
many Apple 13" color monitors.  Namely, after several months of use, the
monitor would briefly display a vibrating image for several seconds.  This
typically occurs shortly after powering up the monitor.

Question:  Was it concluded that this is normal behavior, or is there
something wrong with monitors that have this phenomonon?

Christopher Chow
/---------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Internet:  chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (128.84.248.35 or 128.84.253.35)   |
| Usenet:    ...{uw-beaver|ihnp4|decvax|vax135}!cornell!batcomputer!chow    |
| Bitnet:    chow@crnlthry.bitnet                                           |
| Phone:     1-607-253-6699   Address: 7122 N. Campus 7, Ithaca, NY 14853   |
| Delphi:    chow2            PAN:  chow                                    |
\---------------------------------------------------------------------------/

gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (04/01/88)

Supposedly there are two color monitor jitter-fixes that your dealer
can try:

1.  Try replacing the monitor's analog board (already had it done --
helped some, but still jitters for 10 secs about 2 mins after booting)

2.  Adjust the vertical hold potentiometer INSIDE the monitor, on one
of the analog boards, with the help of an oscilloscope.  The dealer
offered to try this on my monitor.

Don Gillies {ihnp4!uiucdcs!gillies} U of Illinois
            {gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu}

twakeman@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Teriann Wakeman) (04/01/88)

If you have an answer to the question of Mac II colour monitor screen jitters
please post it. We have a 7 mo old hardly used Mac II here at work that
has recently started to exhibit the same problem.

TeriAnn

dlw@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (David Williams) (04/01/88)

chow@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) writes:

>Several months ago there was some discussion on a particular behavior of
>many Apple 13" color monitors.  Namely, after several months of use, the
>monitor would briefly display a vibrating image for several seconds.  This
>typically occurs shortly after powering up the monitor.

>Question:  Was it concluded that this is normal behavior, or is there
>something wrong with monitors that have this phenomonon?

Well, it still happens on our Apple monitor and it is *VERY Irritating!*, I
just reach back on the left side and keep pressing that button on the back
of the monitor until it settles down...so much for the fabled Sony quality.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
David L. Williams   | Hewlett Packard  MS:47LR  | S/W Engineer
dlw@hpsmtc1.HP.COM  | 19447 Pruneridge Ave      | S/W Development Tech Lab
...!hplabs!hpda!dlw | Cupertino, Ca 95014       | DCE User Interface Project
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

garyb@hpmwtla.HP.COM (Gary Bringhurst) (04/06/88)

I sure would love to see the answer to this one, as my monitor has had the
jitters since the day I bought it, and I get nothing but disclaimers from
my Apple dealer.

Gary L. Bringhurst

stevel@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Steve Ligett) (04/07/88)

Apple distributed a note about this to dealers (via AppleLink), it's titled
"SERVICE NOTICE MACINTOSH II RGB SHIMMER"  and dated 3/1/88.

It points the tech to his/her technical procedures for adjusting the
monitor, and mentions that replacement of the monitor logic board may
be required.

Also --

"Affected Units

Most of the units that exhibit shimmering should be corrected during the 90-day
warranty period.  However, if the customer's unit is past the warranty period,
Apple is offering a repair extension program that will reimburse the cost of
adjusting the monitor.  The affected units are within the serial number range
listed below and are date-stamped on the rear of the cover of the High-Res RGB
Monitor 'July, August or September 1987'

M0401      5015941 or below
M0401Z     5002301 or below
M0110PA    5019901 or below
M0401X     5000601 or below"

--
   Steve Ligett     steve.ligett@dartmouth.edu or
(decvax harvard ihnp4 linus)!dartvax!steve.ligett

rob@uokmax.UUCP (Robert K. Shull) (04/08/88)

In article <2270011@hpmwtla.HP.COM> garyb@hpmwtla.HP.COM (Gary Bringhurst) writes:

>...monitor has had the
>jitters since the day I bought it, and I get nothing but disclaimers from
>
>Gary L. Bringhurst
We had a demo machine here for a while that had the same problem, but it
never lasted for more than a few minutes, and always within 5 or 10 of
turning the machine on.
Note that the manual for the AppleColor monitor says that the warm up time
of the display is 20 minutes.
Has anyone had this problem after the monitor is warmed up, or for a long
period of time?
Since I just purchased a Mac II, I'm interested in hearing about any problems
or solutions (it'll probably start happening to me too)
	Robert
--
Robert K. Shull
University of Oklahoma, Engineering Computer Network

phssra@emory.uucp (Scott R. Anderson) (04/10/88)

In article <8565@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU> stevel@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Steve Ligett) writes:
>Apple distributed a note about this to dealers (via AppleLink), it's titled
>"SERVICE NOTICE MACINTOSH II RGB SHIMMER"  and dated 3/1/88.
>
>The affected units are within the serial number range
>listed below and are date-stamped on the rear of the cover of the High-Res RGB
>Monitor 'July, August or September 1987'
>
>M0401      5015941 or below

Well, the shimmer has appeared on my monitor several times (although
I haven't seen it for a few weeks), and I have a November 1987 monitor
with a serial number higher than above.  So beware, it's not just this
group of monitors!

*                                     Scott Robert Anderson
  *      **                           gatech!emoryu1!phssra
   *   *    *    **                   phssra@emoryu1.{bitnet,csnet}
    * *      * *    * **
     *        *      *  * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

snow@ndmath.UUCP (Dennis Snow) (04/11/88)

In article <1171@uokmax.UUCP>, rob@uokmax.UUCP (Robert K. Shull) writes:
> Has anyone had this problem after the monitor is warmed up, or for a long
> period of time?

My monitor would jitter even hours after it had been on. This monitor
also made a fairly loud (but short) buzz when it was turned on. My
colleague's monitor does not make this buzz and has no shimmer problem.
The kicker is that the replacement monitor I received also makes a buzz
when starting up, but so far has a stable screen.

Dennis M. Snow    snow@ndmath.UUCP
Dept. Math.       Notre Dame, IN 46556