[comp.sys.mac] CE Vaccine

paulm@nikhefk.UUCP (Paul Molenaar) (03/25/88)

A few minutes ago I suffered a system crash, probably due to
Vaccine, the anti-viral INIT/CDEV by CE Software.

What happened:

I tried to install a DA on a system 'protected' by the Vaccine program.
The moment F/DA Mover tried to install the resources, the Vaccine
program started beeping, warning me about possible virus-intrusions.

As the cursor was set to the 'spinning watch' symbol, I couldn't
position the mousepointer accurately at the mini-OK button in the
menubar and probably clicked 'Cancel'. F/DA Mover generated an error
message and stopped. As of that moment my System file was garbled.

What have we learned from this:

1) Don't use 'Expert Mode' in Vaccine CDEV
(causing all warnings to be in small icons)

2) Disable the Vaccine before using F/DA Mover.
--
        Paul Molenaar

	"Just checking the walls"
		- Basil Fawlty -

dtw@F.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (Duane Williams) (03/27/88)

In <336@nikhefk.UUCP>, paulm@nikhefk.UUCP (Paul Molenaar) writes:
| A few minutes ago I suffered a system crash, probably due to
| Vaccine, the anti-viral INIT/CDEV by CE Software.

I wonder how many more people will be burned by the vaccine than were burned
by the (largely benign) virus it's supposed to protect you from.  I've never
seen a program from CE Software that wasn't buggy.
--
uucp: ...!seismo!cmucspt!me.ri.cmu.edu!dtw
arpa: dtw@cs.cmu.edu

rs4u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Siegel) (04/07/88)

Another instance where the CE vaccine will be a real pain is in Lightspeed
Pascal. The project file is chock full of resources, some of which get modified
very often. I had a friend call me up, saying, "Why does CE vaccine warn me
every time I save a file?" The answer is that some of those resources keep
track of the build and make information...

Is the cure worse than the disease....?

                -Rich

jac@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jim Clausing) (04/08/88)

the CE people, put an option in there to link MPW stuff without annoying
you.  Perhaps they could do the same for LSC and LSP?!  Anyone out there
have close ties to CE (or is anyone out there from CE listening?)?  Just
a thought.  This weeks (I think it was this weeks) MacWeek has an
article on CE Software and how responsive they are to their users, so
maybe they'll do this (Yes, I know the vaccine was written basically as
a public service, but would this modification be that difficult?).
--
Jim Clausing  -- "Is it time for a colorful metaphor?"
CIS Department

spector@vx2.GBA.NYU.EDU (David HM Spector) (04/08/88)

Don Brown has publicly stated that this will be the one and only version
of Vaccine.  CE was trying to do a public service by releasing Vaccine
free of charge, and they have stated that they have absolutely NO INTENTION
of supporting it, and its is supplied AS-IS.  (In fact, read the on-line
instructions..its all there..)

		David

[When I am writing software, I turn Vaccice off, it drives me a little
nuts otherwise... :-)  ]

David HM Spector				New York University
Senior Systems Programmer			Graduate School of Business
Arpa: SPECTOR@GBA.NYU.EDU			Academic Computing Center
UUCP:...!{allegra,rocky,harvard}!cmcl2!spector	90 Trinity Place, Rm C-4
MCIMail: DSpector				New York, New York 10006
AppleLink: D1161     CompuServe: 71260,1410     (212) 285-6080
"SJM 25, 'real nice guy' seeks SJF...  What? This ISN'T The Voice personals?!"

sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) (04/08/88)

In article <9993@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> jac@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jim Clausing) writes:
>the CE people, put an option in there to link MPW stuff without annoying
>you.  Perhaps they could do the same for LSC and LSP?!  Anyone out there
>have close ties to CE (or is anyone out there from CE listening?)?

It's not really necessary.  There's no reason to run with Vaccine
enabled unless you're testing out new non-commercial software (i.e.,
something from a BBS).  In fact, the less stuff I have floating around
in memory (INITs, screen savers, etc.) when I'm coding, the better.

When I get some new software that I'm unsure about, I drag Vaccine
back into the System Folder, reboot, and try it out.  If it seems OK,
I drag Vaccine back out and reboot again.  For my everyday work, I'm
pretty sure that MSWord and RSG won't infect/corrupt my disks.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (04/11/88)

In article <9993@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> jac@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jim Clausing) writes:
>This weeks (I think it was this weeks) MacWeek has an
>article on CE Software and how responsive they are to their users, so
>maybe they'll do this (Yes, I know the vaccine was written basically as
>a public service, but would this modification be that difficult?).

In the "Instructions" to Vaccine, Brown mentions that this is the only
version of Vaccine that will be coming out, as he is busy with other
(paying) projects.  He also punctures the hysteria surrounding the "Mac
Virus Threat" and generally gives some very (I believe) objective comments
on the entire computer virus situation.  Worth reading.

Besides, if it wouldn't be "that difficult", then someone else can certainly
create a better version of Vaccine themselves.

                       "Most of us, when all is said and done, like what we
                        like and make up reasons for it afterwards."
                                -- Soren F. Petersen

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, microsoft}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...