[comp.sys.mac] Why can't I choose Imagewriter

flowers@CS.UCLA.EDU (04/08/88)

Why can't I get chooser to let me print on the Imagewriter?  There
must be something obvious that I'm missing but I don't know what.
Here are the details:

I just hooked up my home SE with a Grappler (connector which makes an
Epson-printer look like an Imagewriter to the Mac).  I have not been
able to make the Mac select Imagewriter for output.  Chooser gives me
a choice of Imagewriter and Laserwriter, when I click on Imagewriter,
then it asks me to select among printer and modem ports.  I click on
printer port, chooser does nothing, and I close chooser.  At this
point however, finder does not let me print: printing options such
as "print catalog" are grayed out, and set page layout (I forget
exactly what it is called) tells me that a printer file is missing.
In my system file I have a file called ImageWriter of type PRES
creator IWRT, and LaserWriter of type PRER type LWRT.  Are there some
other imagewriter files I'm missing?  I did have ImageSaver
(superglue) in earlier attempts, but moved that away because when I
would select Imagewriter under Chooser (as described above) the print
dialog boxes would still be for SuperImageSaver.  I have checked cable
connections: it is plugged into the printer port, etc.; Grappler seems
to be getting power (it gets warm), printer is turned on, etc.
I have the usual collection of Suitcase, Popkeys, various inits like
Saratoga, etc.  The printer is a Diconix, which is an Epson-compatible
expecting 9-pin input (which Grappler produces).

Any help appreciated,
Margot Flowers   Flowers@CS.UCLA.EDU   ...!{ucbvax|ihnp4}!ucla-cs!flowers

flowers@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Margot Flowers) (04/11/88)

In article <11038@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> flowers@CS.UCLA.EDU () writes:
>Why can't I get chooser to let me print on the Imagewriter?  There
>must be something obvious that I'm missing but I don't know what.
>Here are the details:
(full details in previous posting, synopsis is that I'm hooking up an
epson-compatible via a grappler to my mac, I've never had an
imagewriter itself to know if that configuration causes the same problem)

Subsequently, I have found that I can "print selection" in versaterm
3.10, but trying to print in Word fails as it does in finder.  Word
tells me something about can't open printer, where finder tells me
that a printer file must be missing (though some of the time when I
tested it just told me something like "unspecified error" (sorry but I
could't select and copy the error messages).  (Oh, yes, chooser thinks
appletalk is inactive).  Does anyone have an inkling as to why
printing works with versaterm but not others (that I really want to
print with)?

Again, help is desperately needed and greatly appreciated.

Margot Flowers   Flowers@CS.UCLA.EDU   ...!{ucbvax|ihnp4}!ucla-cs!flowers