From:    Bruce Long
To:      All                       Msg #325, 23-Jan-88 10:19am
Subject: Red Alert

Over the past few weeks I have experienced several HD crashes. The
prelude was generally the same:  Some folders would suddenly be
unopenable, or some of the files in those folders would be missing.
The quirky folders could not be trashed or deleted by any file
utilities.

I have spent the past week trying to pinpoint the cause of the problem
and am now totally convinced that the culprit is  Stuffit 1.30 and
1.31.  I am using a Mac Plus and my HD is a Photon 30 from Warp 9.
The problem was appearing no matter what System/Finder  I was using.
I suggest anyone on a HD  return to using Stuffit 1.20. In my tests I
was able to quickly duplicate the problem an a newly initialized HD
using Stuffit 1.31, but not 1.20.  However, this problem did occur
once before, prior to the release of 1.30/1.31, so I plan to  use only
a floppy-driven system while using Stuffit from now on, and I will
only stuff/unstuff onto floppies or a ram disk.  Hopefully I have seen
the last of this problem.

--- ConfMail V3.31
 * Origin: EyeNet Opus_SeaDog (602) 941-3747 (1:114/14)

Again, I do not wish to malign StuffIt in any way, but _if_ this problem is
real, users should know about it immediately.

Jim   -->  USENET  macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak)

The above is merely my opinion and must not be construed as anything else!

saf@moss.ATT.COM (02/02/88)

Stuffit 1.31 never made it to this site.  Is there a way for a usenet machine
to grab a copy from sumex (or wherever it might be)?

Re: the discussion of shareware viability:

This is the first product that has motivated me to send in the shareware fee
(even tho I'm just using the decode function!) - if I have to muck around
with US mail every few months just to keep up to date, it might as well be a
commercial product.  A nice, stable commercial product :-).

[Flames to dev:null].

	Steve Falco   moss!saf   saf@moss.ATT.COM

atchison@hpindda.HP.COM (Lee Atchison) (02/09/88)

I need part three of StuffIt as well!

			-lee

----
Lee Atchison
Hewlett Packard, Information Networks Division
atchison%hpindda@hplabs.hp.com

paul@aucs.UUCP (Paul Steele) (02/18/88)

Would some kind soul please send me a copy of Stuffit 1.31.  It never
made it to our site...   Thanks.

Paul H. Steele      USENET:   {uunet|watmath|utai|garfield}!dalcs!aucs!Paul
Acadia University   BITNET:   Paul@Acadia
Wolfville, NS       Internet: Paul%Acadia.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
CANADA  B0P 1X0     (902) 542-2201x587

paul@aucs.UUCP (Paul Steele) (04/12/88)

Would someone please send me a copy of Stuffit 1.31 -- it never made it
to this site.  Thanks.