[comp.sys.mac] YMODEM on the Mac

mmccann@hubcap.UUCP (Mike McCann) (04/02/88)

Does anyone know of a YMODEM or XMODEM batch file transfer program for
the mac (public domain if possible).  I would like for it to emulate a
VT100 too.

Thanks,
Mike McCann

hallett@macbeth.steinmetz (Jeff A. Hallett) (04/04/88)

In article <1273@hubcap.UUCP> mmccann@hubcap.UUCP (Mike McCann) writes:
>Does anyone know of a YMODEM or XMODEM batch file transfer program for
>the mac (public domain if possible).  I would like for it to emulate a
>VT100 too.
>
>Thanks,
>Mike McCann

Buy Red Ryder.  It is $80.  It is worth it and it does x/ymodem and
kermit.  It is pretty intelligent and does a fair vt100 emulation.

Jeffrey A. Hallett                     | ARPA: hallett@ge-crd.arpa
Software Technology Program    	       | UUCP: desdemona!hallett@steinmetz.uucp
GE Corporate Research and Development  | (518) 387-5654
+--------------------------------------+--------------------------------------+
|                            Credo Quia Absurdum Est                          |

takahash@bnrmtv.UUCP (Alan Takahashi) (04/06/88)

In article <10224@steinmetz.steinmetz.ge.com>, hallett@macbeth.steinmetz (Jeff A. Hallett) writes:
> In article <1273@hubcap.UUCP> mmccann@hubcap.UUCP (Mike McCann) writes:
> >Does anyone know of a YMODEM or XMODEM batch file transfer program for
> >the mac (public domain if possible).  I would like for it to emulate a
> >VT100 too.
>
> Buy Red Ryder.  It is $80.  It is worth it and it does x/ymodem and
> kermit.  It is pretty intelligent and does a fair vt100 emulation.
>
> Jeffrey A. Hallett                     | ARPA: hallett@ge-crd.arpa

Yes, but why is it that Red Ryder v10.3 can't talk to macput/macget?
Whenever I try it, all sides time out (RR for receiving files, and
macget for sending files) while using XMODEM format.

Note that there isn't any problem using Microphone...it sends/receives
files fine.  (Microphone uses something it calls "MacTerminal 1.1"
format...I assume its really talking about XMODEM...).

Alan Takahashi                            !     hplabs   amdahl
Bell-Northern Research                    !          \   /
Mountain View, CA                         !   .....!{-----}!bnrmtv!takahashi
                                          !          /   \
"When you need to knock on wood is when   !    3comvax   ames
  you realize the world's composed of     !-----------------------------------
  aluminum and vinyl." -- Flugg's Law     ! DISCLAIMER: It's all an illusion.

rce229@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (04/06/88)

What kind of Ymodem do you mean?  Xmodem with 1K blocks (called Xmodem-1K
by Chuck Forsberg) or batch Xmodem optionally with 1K blocks (called True
YModem(tm) by same)?   Most programs support the first option.  MicroPhone
(commercial, $??) also supports True Ymodem (calling it Ymodem) and
claims to have VT100 emulation (my experiences with it and UNIX 'vi'
have been totally unsuccessful, though).

cswarren@gershwin.berkeley.edu (Warren Gish;133B Biochem;x3-9219) (04/06/88)

>In article <1273@hubcap.UUCP> mmccann@hubcap.UUCP (Mike McCann) writes:
>>Does anyone know of a YMODEM or XMODEM batch file transfer program for
>>the mac (public domain if possible).  I would like for it to emulate a
>>VT100 too.
>
>Buy Red Ryder.  It is $80.  It is worth it and it does x/ymodem and
>kermit.  It is pretty intelligent and does a fair vt100 emulation.
Dead Ryder?!?  If you're going to spend money, my vote is for VersaTerm
(version 3.2, <~$80 from many discount houses).
VersaTerm is "pretty intelligent" and does excellent VT100 emulation,
plus Tektronix 4014 graphics terminal emulation, plus XMODEM, YMODEM,
and KERMIT file transfers in the background under MultiFinder,
PLUS (puff! puff!) the VT window pops out of the way (to a user-
configurable location) so you can see the desktop when VT is placed in
the background.

Warren Gish
IS&T
UC Berkeley
cswarren@violet.berkeley.edu
cswarren@ucbviole.bitnet

delaney@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (John Delaney) (04/06/88)

In article <3487@bnrmtv.UUCP>, takahash@bnrmtv.UUCP (Alan Takahashi) writes:
> In article <10224@steinmetz.steinmetz.ge.com>, hallett@macbeth.steinmetz (Jeff A. Hallett) writes:
> > Jeffrey A. Hallett                     | ARPA: hallett@ge-crd.arpa
>
> Yes, but why is it that Red Ryder v10.3 can't talk to macput/macget?
> Whenever I try it, all sides time out (RR for receiving files, and
> macget for sending files) while using XMODEM format.
>
> Note that there isn't any problem using Microphone...it sends/receives
> files fine.  (Microphone uses something it calls "MacTerminal 1.1"
> format...I assume its really talking about XMODEM...).

Your assumption (and many other peoples' identical assumptions) are WRONG.
Macput/macget uses a mutated version of the XMODEM format, not the
official version, that mutated form having been introduce in MacTerminal.
to further confuse things, VersaTerm calls this mutated form `Mac XMODEM`.
RR 10.3 implements only the official XMODEM.

I have suggested to FreeSoft that they breakdown and support the mutated
form as an alternative, just as they also support Kermit. We will see
what happens in future releases.

barad@tulane.tulane.edu (Herb Barad) (04/08/88)

In article <3487@bnrmtv.UUCP> takahash@bnrmtv.UUCP (Alan Takahashi) writes:
>Yes, but why is it that Red Ryder v10.3 can't talk to macput/macget?
>Whenever I try it, all sides time out (RR for receiving files, and
>macget for sending files) while using XMODEM format.
>
>Note that there isn't any problem using Microphone...it sends/receives
>files fine.  (Microphone uses something it calls "MacTerminal 1.1"
>format...I assume its really talking about XMODEM...).

Exactly your problem.  MacTerminal 1.1 format is NOT what Red Ryder (or
ANY other MacBinary telecommunications program for that matter) expects
to receive.  Macput/get is only useful with MacTerminal 1.1 (or any
program compatible with that protocol).

You need to use an XMODEM (or YMODEM) program like umodem, sz, rz, and
so on and then it works fine.

Hope this clears up the confusion.
--
Herb Barad	Electrical Engineering Dept., Tulane Univ.
USENET:		barad@tulane.uucp

straka@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Straka) (04/12/88)

In article <89@tulane.tulane.edu> barad@tulane.UUCP (Herb Barad) writes:
|In article <3487@bnrmtv.UUCP> takahash@bnrmtv.UUCP (Alan Takahashi) writes:
||Yes, but why is it that Red Ryder v10.3 can't talk to macput/macget?
||format...I assume its really talking about XMODEM...).
|
|Exactly your problem.  MacTerminal 1.1 format is NOT what Red Ryder (or
|ANY other MacBinary telecommunications program for that matter) expects
|to receive.  Macput/get is only useful with MacTerminal 1.1 (or any

For the record, Versaterm also handles MacTerminal 1.1 format.  It calls it
"Mac XModem", though.  Works like a charm.  (As long as you can read the
mac{put,get} manual pages, though.  They could be clearer! :-))
--
Rich Straka     ihnp4!ihlpf!straka

Advice for the day: "MSDOS - just say no."

grandi@noao.arizona.edu (Steve Grandi) (04/13/88)

>>Does anyone know of a YMODEM or XMODEM batch file transfer program for
>>the mac (public domain if possible).

>Buy Red Ryder.  It is $80.  It is worth it and it does x/ymodem and kermit.

Note that Red Ryder seems to cheat on the True Ymodem protocols (as defined
by Chuck Forsberg) and, in fact, does not work with my Unix Xmodem program
recently posted to comp.sources.unix when doing YMODEM batch transfers.  I
think I know what the problem is and anyone who is affected should contact
me for a new version.
--
Steve Grandi, National Optical Astronomy Observatories, Tucson AZ, 602-325-9228
UUCP: {arizona,decvax,ncar,ihnp4}!noao!grandi or uunet!noao.arizona.edu!grandi