[comp.sys.mac] Opening files with "foreign" applications

bill@utastro.UUCP (William H. Jefferys) (04/13/88)

I have been experiencing problems in opening files with applications
other than the one that created them. Specifically, I am trying to
use a trick that used to work on my Mac+ with an earlier system
and finder to pack a whole slew of files (using PackIt) for uploading
to a mainframe and unpacking with unpit. It used to be that I could
select the entire group of files and PackIt, Double-click (or use
"Open" from the File menu) and this would fire up PackIt, which would
then dutifully pack all the files in one convenient labor-saving
operation. Now I get a dialog box advising me to "Please open/print only
documents of the same kind." How annoying! My only choice, it would
seem, is to go into PackIt and manually open each file in turn, which
defeats the whole purpose of the operation.

Is there something I am missing here? I've tried holding down all
combinations of shift/option/command keys and nothing works. I am
using System 4.2/Finder 6.0 on a Mac II.

Bill Jefferys

--
Glend.	I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
Hot.	Why, so can I, or so can any man; But will they come when you

svpillay@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kanthan Pillay) (04/15/88)

In article <2577@utastro.UUCP> bill@utastro.UUCP (William H. Jefferys) writes:
>It used to be that I could
>select the entire group of files and PackIt, Double-click (or use
>"Open" from the File menu) and this would fire up PackIt, which would
>then dutifully pack all the files in one convenient labor-saving
>operation. Now I get a dialog box advising me to "Please open/print only
>documents of the same kind." How annoying! My only choice, it would
>seem, is to go into PackIt and manually open each file in turn, which
>defeats the whole purpose of the operation.
>Bill Jefferys

I sent a mail message about this to Phil Goldman (who reads this
newsgroup) about three months ago. I didn't get a reply, so I assume
that either:
* He didn't get the message or
* There is no fix for this.
	I hope it's the first. How about it, Apple?

							Kanthan.

--
Do I really need a signature?