[comp.sys.mac] Managing laser output in a student

leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (04/14/88)

ajq@j.cc.purdue.edu(John O'Malley) writes in comp.sys.mac

>We're in the early planning stages of setting up an open-access Macintosh
>lab for the Purdue campus.  We'll have lotsa networked Macs and probably a
>couple of LaserWriters.  We might charge for laser printouts.
>
>We'd like to figure out a way that we could automate the process of charging
>for the laser output.  One way would be to hook up a card reading device,
>similar to the copy-card readers (those credit-card like cards) that are
>often attached to photocopiers in campus libraries.  Has anyone had experience
>with this kind of thing?  Is it possible?  If such a device exists, I
>imagine that it'd have to be installed on a non-shared LaserWriter.

	Here at the University of Illinois, that is exactly what we do.  We have
attached a card reader to each of the public access LaserWriters which is then
attached to its own Macintosh (trying to handle the card reader through a
shared (networked) system DOES NOT WORK TOO WELL (causes a LOT of hassles)).
	We have found student fairly receptive to this method, the only problem that
we have encountered is that we only have a limited number of LW's and lots of
students.....

+                                 +  Any thing I say may be taken as  +
+   Leonard Rosenthol             +  fact, then again you might decide+
+   President, LazerWare, inc.    +  that it really isn't, so you     +
+                                 +  never know, do you??             +
+   leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu     +                                   +
+   GEnie:  MACgician             +                                   +
+   Delphi: MACgician             +                                   +
+                                 +                                   +

jbm308@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (04/15/88)

Many of the laser printers over here at the University of Illinois have
copy-card readers attached to them.

-----
John Melby
jbm308@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu
{{seismo,cmcl2,pur-ee}!uiucdcs,{ihnp4,uunet}!uiucuxc}!uxf!jbm308
-----

mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (04/19/88)

In article <46100124@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu>, leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
> ajq@j.cc.purdue.edu(John O'Malley) writes in comp.sys.mac
> >We're in the early planning stages of setting up an open-access Macintosh
> >lab for the Purdue campus.  We'll have lotsa networked Macs and probably a
> >couple of LaserWriters.  We might charge for laser printouts.
> 	Here at the University of Illinois, that is exactly what we do.  We have
> attached a card reader to each of the public access LaserWriters which is then
> attached to its own Macintosh (trying to handle the card reader through a
> shared (networked) system DOES NOT WORK TOO WELL (causes a LOT of hassles)).

Here at Ball State, we already have a public access Macintosh lab with laser
printers (right now just two LW Plus's; next year we'll add two IINT's).
We do not charge students to use these printers.  We see it a more of a way
to entice students.  They see the output and say 'I want my reports to look
like that'.  The purpose of our program is computer competency, and this falls
into that program very well.  So we feel that the costs involved are justified.

Michael Niehaus
Ball State University
UUCP: ..!{uunet,pur-ee,iuvax}!bsu-cs!mithomas