[comp.sys.mac] Problems I have seen

jimd@gssc.UUCP (Jim DePorter) (04/13/88)

I am 'helping' take care of a business that just purchased 3 mac SE-20s,
LaserWriter NT, 2.5MB per machine, a single page Radius and a two page Radius.
The systems are using Multifinder, TOPS and either WriteNow and/or Excel.
	Problem one is that this is an appraisal firm and they print out
50-100 page documents, but after about 15 pages the printing stops, the
light on the NT keeps flashing for ? amount of time and then a timeout
error appears on the screen (the file is still there, would you like
to reprint?).  All I hear about is how great the Victor 9000 running
Wordperfect is, and how it can print ALL of the pages and even let you
keep typing at the same time (problem two).  I know there is some
problems running WriteNow under Multifinder, but if I disable TOPS the
55 page test document prints out fine.  Any answers?
	Problem two, they wanted a print spooler.  Great, instead of
spending $120 a copy for Super Laser Spool I would get printmonitor
working under multifinder.  Great, the only problem is that when the
job is being sent to the printer neither mouse nor keyboard input shows
up until the page finishes, not good.  How about Super Laser Spool,
it's only $120 a copy and if it does transparent spooling it's worth
it.  Gosh, it doesn't work with Multifinder.  Bad, the users now
can not live without Multifinder.  Try work around, start system with
finder and Super Laser Spool, Cmd option double click on Multifinder.
Works fine until printing starts and then "GREAT SHIMMERING RECTANGLES"
the system hangs.  What fun.  And to think I told them that the Mac
would be easier than an MSdos machine to get operational.  Everyone
there loves the Mac (I'm not always sure if I do 8-)), but these
small problems are the worst.
	Oh yes, I tried calling TOPS Talk (415-549-5955), but their
machine must be having troubles also, as nothing answers.

Thanks,
jimd
tektronix!sequent!gssc!jimd

				"We now have a solution to every problem,
				 we now need a resolution of our solutions!"

hpoppe@scdpyr.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) (04/13/88)

Jim DePorter mentions in is posting:

>       Oh yes, I tried calling TOPS Talk (415-549-5955), but their
>machine must be having troubles also, as nothing answers.

All the TOPS phone numbers changed effective March 28:

Main line       (415) 769-9669
Sales           (415) 769-8700
Tech Services   (415) 769-8711
Upgrade line    (4150 769-8808
FAX             (415) 769-8772
TOPS Talk       (415) 769-8774
Herb Poppe      NCAR                         INTERNET: hpoppe@scdpyr.UCAR.EDU
(303) 497-1296  P.O. Box 3000                   CSNET: hpoppe@ncar.CSNET
		Boulder, CO  80307               UUCP: hpoppe@scdpyr.UUCP

jwhitnel@csi.UUCP (Jerry Whitnell) (04/14/88)

In article <5668@gssc.UUCP> jimd@gssc.UUCP (Jim DePorter) writes:
|  I know there is some
|problems running WriteNow under Multifinder, but if I disable TOPS the
|55 page test document prints out fine.  Any answers?

WriteNow is suppose to be coming out with a new version this month to fix
the MultiFinder problems.  You might give T/Maker a call and check the current
status.

|jimd

Jerry Whitnell				Been through Hell?
Communication Solutions, Inc.		What did you bring back for me?
						- A. Brilliant

tbetz@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Betz) (04/17/88)

In article <5668@gssc.UUCP>, jimd@gssc.UUCP (Jim DePorter) writes:
> I am 'helping' take care of a business that just purchased 3 mac SE-20s,
> LaserWriter NT, 2.5MB per machine, a single page Radius and a two page Radius.
> The systems are using Multifinder, TOPS and either WriteNow and/or Excel.
< Chronology of disaster omitted out of mercy>

....  What fun.  And to think I told them that the Mac
> would be easier than an MSdos machine to get operational.  Everyone
> there loves the Mac (I'm not always sure if I do 8-)), but these
> small problems are the worst.
> 	Oh yes, I tried calling TOPS Talk (415-549-5955), but their
> machine must be having troubles also, as nothing answers.
>
> Thanks,
> jimd
> tektronix!sequent!gssc!jimd
>
> 				"We now have a solution to every problem,
> 				 we now need a resolution of our solutions!"

Make me real glad we decided to replace our trusty Apple ///s with 80386's
running Xenix instead of sticking with Apple iron!!

Sheeeesh!

tb

--
Tom Betz                        {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
Big Electric Cat Public Unix           {bellcore,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!tbetz

Eric_Shockwave-Rider_Larson@cup.portal.com (04/19/88)

In article <5668@gssc.UUCP>, jimd@gssc.UUCP (Jim DePorter) writes:
> I am 'helping' take care of a business that just purchased 3 mac SE-20s,
> LaserWriter NT, 2.5MB per machine, a single page Radius and a two page Radius.
> The systems are using Multifinder, TOPS and either WriteNow and/or Excel.
< Chronology of disaster omitted out of mercy>

....  What fun.  And to think I told them that the Mac
> would be easier than an MSdos machine to get operational.  Everyone
> there loves the Mac (I'm not always sure if I do 8-)), but these
> small problems are the worst.
> 	Oh yes, I tried calling TOPS Talk (415-549-5955), but their
> machine must be having troubles also, as nothing answers.
>
> Thanks,
> jimd
> tektronix!sequent!gssc!jimd
>
> 				"We now have a solution to every problem,
> 				 we now need a resolution of our solutions!"

| Make me real glad we decided to replace our trusty Apple ///s with 80386's
| running Xenix instead of sticking with Apple iron!!

| Sheeeesh!

| tb

| Tom Betz                        {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\

   Are you trying to tell me that a net of Xenix machines is easier to
maintain than a net of Macs?? Hogwash!

To jimd .. First, why are you running TOPS in the first place?? It is
not a reasonable net solution unless you are trying to move files from
one machine to another for editing or some such. Second, are you sure that
all the Macs on your net are running the same system software? Thirdly,
did you know that there is a new version of SuperLaserSpool out that
specifically supports MS Word 3.01 and Multfinder? Forthly, make sure that
you are running clean systems, i.e. an absolute minimum number of inits.
The simpler you keep things, the more reliable you will be.