[comp.sys.mac] AUX book

sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (04/20/88)

I've been talking with a publisher about writing a book on AUX.  The intent
of the book (currently estimated to be about 600 pages in length) would
be to hit the highlights of what you have to know to get started with
Apple's implementation of Unix. I'm tentatively planning to cover the
most frequently used Unix commands (including telecommunications), shell
programming, C programming, and the interface to the Mac Toolbox (though
I don't intend to teach programming itself).

Would such a book be of interest to anyone out there? Would you turn to
such a book before talking the two shelves of documentation that come with
AUX?

What in particular would you find useful in a book designed to make
AUX more accessible?

Any comments would be gratefully accepted.

Jan Harrington, sysop
Scholastech Telecommunications
UUCP: ihnp4!husc6!amcad!stech!sysop or allegra!stech!sysop
BITNET: JHARRY@BENTLEY

	Miscellaneous profundity:

		"No matter where you go, there you are."
				Buckaroo Banzai

kaufman@polya.STANFORD.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (04/20/88)

In article <497@stech.UUCP> sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) writes:
>I've been talking with a publisher about writing a book on AUX.  The intent
>of the book (currently estimated to be about 600 pages in length) would
                                              !!!!!!!!!
>be to hit the highlights of what you have to know to get started with
>Apple's implementation of Unix.

"You will, I am sure, agree with me that if ... page 534 only finds us in
the second chapter, the length of the first one must have been really
intolerable."  [S. Holmes, 'The Valley of Fear']