[comp.sys.mac] Do we *really* need comp.binaries.h

hirchert@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (04/20/88)

>Yes, it also demonstrates the foolishness of sending all those binaries
>over the net when they are easily available from BBS systems everywhere.

Easily available everywhere?  Would you like to tell me how they are easily
available from a bulletin board here in Champaign-Urbana?

I'm not arguing that this makes Usenet a good or efficient way to distribute
Hypercard binaries.  I am suggesting that people living in major metropolitan
areas like the Bay area should not assume that what is available locally to
them is typical of what is available throughout the country.

>Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just
>{ucbvax, uunet, hoptoad}!     | dogmatize it!  Reflect on it and re-evaluate
>        unisoft!gethen!farren | it.  You may want to change your mind someday."
>gethen!farren@lll-winken.llnl.gov ----- Tom Reingold, from alt.flame

Kurt W. Hirchert     National Center for Supercomputing Applications

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (04/20/88)

>Easily available everywhere?  Would you like to tell me how they are easily
>available from a bulletin board here in Champaign-Urbana?

1) Join your local User Group and get them from their floppy library.

2) If (1) isn't an option, join BMUG, BCS, A.P.P.L.E. or any one of
   half a dozen other national user groups and get them through THEIR
   floppy libraries.

3) If that isn't good enough, sign up for GENie, Delphi, or CompuServe and
   get them from THEIR libraries.

Two of those options don't even require a modem, too.

Chuq Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

                                                Welcome to the Latrine Wall!
                               What do you want to do, number 1 or number 2?

hirchert@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (04/22/88)

>>Easily available everywhere?  Would you like to tell me how they are easily
>>available from a bulletin board here in Champaign-Urbana?
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>1) Join your local User Group and get them from their floppy library.

>2) If (1) isn't an option, join BMUG, BCS, A.P.P.L.E. or any one of
>   half a dozen other national user groups and get them through THEIR
>   floppy libraries.

>3) If that isn't good enough, sign up for GENie, Delphi, or CompuServe and
>   get them from THEIR libraries.

>Two of those options don't even require a modem, too.

>Chuq Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

>                                                Welcome to the Latrine Wall!
>                               What do you want to do, number 1 or number 2?

Try reading my original comment a little more carefully.  I didn't say that
I didn't have alternatives or that Usenet was the best (or even a good) way
to distribute this software.  I merely objected to the assumption that
everyone has access to BBSs with a wide variety of software.  (Our local
User Group has a pretty good library.  Of course, they get a large part of it
from either Usenet or INFO-MAC!)

Kurt W. Hirchert     National Center for Supercomputing Applications

len@netsys.UUCP (Len Rose) (04/22/88)

In article <46100128@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> hirchert@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

 Easily available everywhere?  Would you like to tell me how they are easily
 available from a bulletin board here in Champaign-Urbana?

 I'm not arguing that this makes Usenet a good or efficient way to distribute
 Hypercard binaries.  I am suggesting that people living in major metropolitan
 areas like the Bay area should not assume that what is available locally to
 them is typical of what is available throughout the country.

 I said:

 That is why pc pursuit is a good idea... If you have ever seen the bills
 associated with passing news around you'd be more hesitant about adding more
 traffic.. Your "bbs" in Champaign-Urbana are just as accessible as those in
 the Bay Area ... all from Washington DC. .. I'd like to have everything ever
 created to run on the Mac sent to my personal machine via Usenet also,but
 I guess my laziness to go out and snatch them from sumex-aim or simtel20
 can be overcome..People keep adding all these binary newsgroups and sooner or
 later the whole mess is going to come crashing down.

 If you think I am way off base,go talk to a backbone admin ...

--
internet: len@ames.arpa
Len Rose - NetSys