[comp.sys.mac] Help using DAs with MultFind & Suitcase

EE2Y@CRNLVAX5.BITNET (04/20/88)

From: ee2y@crnlvax5.ccs.cornell.edu
Subj: Help using DAs in program 'shell' under MultiFinder and Suitcase

I am trying to use a DA such as Windows while running Suitcase and MultiFinder.
I guess I need to have it run under the resident program's shell instead of
having 'DA Handler' kick in.  [Running Windows under DA Handler is useless.]

I know that holding OPTION before pulling down Apple menu will allow one to
run a DA under program memory shell.  Problem is: When Suitcase detects an
OPTION press, it won't display DAs, only the programs active under MultiFinder.
This is supposed to help as a shortcut, but in my case it's a major hassle.

Does anyone know how to circumvent this conflict of key assignments?  Or do
I just have to live with it?  I'm willing to use ResEdit to change key
assignments, if you'll tell me how.  Thanks in advance.

Brian Campbell
Cornell University

ee2y@crnlvax5.ccs.cornell.edu           Internet
ee2y@crnlvax5.bitnet                    Bitnet

c60b-da@buddy.Berkeley.EDU (Alex Ho) (04/22/88)

In article <8804192356.AA06622@jade.berkeley.edu> EE2Y@CRNLVAX5.BITNET writes:

>I am trying to use a DA such as Windows while running Suitcase and MultiFinder.
>I guess I need to have it run under the resident program's shell instead of
>having 'DA Handler' kick in.  [Running Windows under DA Handler is useless.]

try pulling down the apple menu, pressing <option>, and then selecting
your da. that should load the da into the application's shell instead
of multifinder's da handler.

alex ho
c60b-da@buddy.berkeley.edu

milt@mist.cs.orst.edu (Milt Sagen) (04/22/88)

In article <8804192356.AA06622@jade.berkeley.edu> EE2Y@CRNLVAX5.BITNET writes:
>From: ee2y@crnlvax5.ccs.cornell.edu
>Subj: Help using DAs in program 'shell' under MultiFinder and Suitcase
>
>I am trying to use a DA such as Windows while running Suitcase and MultiFinder.
>I guess I need to have it run under the resident program's shell instead of
>having 'DA Handler' kick in.  [Running Windows under DA Handler is useless.]

Use the Font/DA Mover to install the Windows DA in the finder.  To do this start
up Font/DA mover then select the DA option.  Close the system and ask it to open
the windows DA suitcase then, while holding down the option key press the open
button.  This will allow you to open any application or file including the
finder.  Then just copy the window DA into the finder.

I prefer this to the option key open method with multifinder, at least with a
window DA, since it makes most sense and is most needed in the finder.  Now
when the finder is the active application all you need do is select the
window DA and it will install itself in the finders layer.

>I know that holding OPTION before pulling down Apple menu will allow one to
>run a DA under program memory shell.  Problem is: When Suitcase detects an
>OPTION press, it won't display DAs, only the programs active under MultiFinder.

Don't hold down the option key until after you have selected the Apple menu.

>Brian Campbell
>Cornell University
>
>ee2y@crnlvax5.ccs.cornell.edu           Internet
>ee2y@crnlvax5.bitnet                    Bitnet