[comp.sys.mac] Network Innovations Info

ftanaka@polyslo.UUCP (Forrest Tanaka) (04/20/88)

Does anyone know how to get in touch with a company called Network
Innovations?  I heard that they have or will have a product called
CL/1 which allows Macintosh programs to communicate transparently
with various mainframes.  Mail responses.  Thanks a bunch y'all.
--
Forrest Y. Tanaka
    Diablo #25, Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, CA 93410

ack@caldwr.caldwr.gov (David Ackerman) (04/23/88)

In article <1999@polyslo.UUCP>, ftanaka@polyslo.UUCP (Forrest Tanaka) writes:
> Does anyone know how to get in touch with a company called Network
> Innovations?  I heard that they have or will have a product called
> CL/1 which allows Macintosh programs to communicate transparently...

Their contact info is:

	Network Innovations Corporation
	20863 Stevens Creek Blvd.
	Cupertino, CA  95014
	(408) 257-6800

  I talked to them at Texpo in Anaheim yesterday, and they said that CL/1 will
not be released until August. One thing that excited me was that CL/1 is
going to be included in a future release of the Toolbox! Imagine being able
to make calls to the Toolbox to send SQL queries to a server process on a
host...sounds like good stuff to me. I am also looking forward to releases of
the CL/1 server end for operating systems other than VMS, and for more
standard networking protocols like TCP/IP. Right now they only do DECnet
and Appletalk, as well as serial lines or via modem.

  What Apple needs to do now is integrate all the features that Rob Jellinghaus
was talking about into the OS. And Apple, while you're at it, how about some
decent IPC facilities so applications can send data to each other? Automated
cut & paste. Microsoft is trying to do that in kind of a kludgey way, and
from what I've heard, Apple is trying to put them into Multifinder. The sooner
the better...there are some important applications for such capabilities.

  I love my Mac, but there are areas (in the OS especially) that need
improving. Let's hope Apple uses those millions of R&D bucks to produce
some of those improvements.

David Ackerman
California Department of Water Resources     caldwr!ack@ucdavis.edu  (Internet)
"It's the water, and a lot more..."       ...!ucbvax!ucdavis!caldwr!ack  (UUCP)

         The opinions expressed above are mine, not those of the State
         of California or the California Department of Water Resources.