[comp.sys.mac] X11 support on a Mac??

eto@spacely.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Edward Olsen) (04/21/88)

We are soon to begin developing software on a Masscomp mainframe running
the UNIX operating system.  We have decided to go with X-Windows 11 for
our graphics, and I would like to know if there is any software for
the Macintosh which will support this graphical interface.

Thanks for your help.
						 Ed Olsen

dkovar@bbn.com (David C. Kovar) (04/21/88)

Expires:

In article <6326@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> eto@spacely.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Edward Olsen) writes:
>We are soon to begin developing software on a Masscomp mainframe running
>the UNIX operating system.  We have decided to go with X-Windows 11 for
>our graphics, and I would like to know if there is any software for
>the Macintosh which will support this graphical interface.
>
>Thanks for your help.
>						 Ed Olsen

  According to the latest issue of Macintosh Today a company named White Plains
in Amherst Mass. will have X11 running on the Mac sometime in the fall.
Unfortunately I left my copy of Mac Today at home and cannot give you the
full details on it.

-David Kovar
 DKovar@BBN.COM

ephraim@think.COM (ephraim vishniac) (04/22/88)

In article <23690@bbn.COM> dkovar@bbn.com (David C. Kovar) writes:
>In article <6326@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> eto@spacely.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Edward Olsen) writes:
>>We have decided to go with X-Windows 11 for our graphics, and I
>>would like to know if there is any software for the Macintosh which
>>will support this graphical interface.

>According to the latest issue of Macintosh Today a company named
>White Plains in Amherst Mass. will have X11 running on the Mac
>sometime in the fall.  Unfortunately I left my copy of Mac Today at
>home and cannot give you the full details on it.

The company is White *Pine* Software Inc., in Amherst, *New
Hampshire*.  (White Plains is in New York.  There is an Amherst, MA,
but there's one in New Hampshire, too.)

  White Pine already has some terminal emulation and other
communications software for the Mac.  Their X11 product runs native on
the Mac (i.e., it's not an A/UX program) and is supposed to support
Multifinder.  "Company president Samuel Solon ... does not expect
volume sales until late 1988 or early 1989."

Ephraim Vishniac					  ephraim@think.com
Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142-1214

     On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put
     into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?"

thomas@uvabick.UUCP (Thomas Fruin) (04/24/88)

At a recent Developers Meeting I got the impression from Apple that they
were working on X.Windows support for A/UX.

-- Thomas Fruin

   fruin@hlerul5.BITNET                     University of Leiden
   thomas@uvabick.UUCP                      University of Amsterdam
   hol0066.AppleLink
   2:508/15.FidoNet                         The Netherlands