[comp.sys.mac] Apple Challenges HP New Wave, MS-Windows, Potentially OS/2 PM)

tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) (04/19/88)

/ hpcilzb:comp.sys.mac / chasm@killer.UUCP (Charles Marslett) /  5:59 am  Apr 18, 1988 /
In article <8455@cisunx.UUCP>, ejkst@cisunx.UUCP writes:
> The Amiga only has one menu bar along the top of the screen, and I never
> have any problems multi-tasking because of it.  In fact, what happens if
> your menu is larger than your window?
> Eric Kennedy
> ejkst@cisunx.UUCP

Actually, what happens if the menu is larger than the screen: you'd better
have a way of wraping or compressing it (as in human factor engineering) --
the real problem with mixing the menus up is what menu item goes with what
window?

Nothing is really impractical, just which is easier to use or more obvious.

Charles Marslett
chasm@killer.UUCP
----------

tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) (04/19/88)

/ hpcilzb:comp.sys.mac / tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) /  8:16 am  Apr 19, 1988 /
/ hpcilzb:comp.sys.mac / chasm@killer.UUCP (Charles Marslett) /  5:59 am  Apr 18, 1988 /
In article <8455@cisunx.UUCP>, ejkst@cisunx.UUCP writes:
> The Amiga only has one menu bar along the top of the screen, and I never
> have any problems multi-tasking because of it.  In fact, what happens if
> your menu is larger than your window?
> Eric Kennedy
> ejkst@cisunx.UUCP

Actually, what happens if the menu is larger than the screen: you'd better
have a way of wraping or compressing it (as in human factor engineering) --
the real problem with mixing the menus up is what menu item goes with what
window?

Nothing is really impractical, just which is easier to use or more obvious.

Charles Marslett
chasm@killer.UUCP
----------
----------

tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) (04/19/88)

>Actually, what happens if the menu is larger than the screen: you'd better

This should never happen, if you follow the User Interface Guidelines.

-Ted

lippin@jell-o.berkeley.edu (The Apathist) (04/25/88)

Recently tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) said:
>>Actually, what happens if the menu is larger than the screen: you'd better
>
>This should never happen, if you follow the User Interface Guidelines.

Only because the guidelines say "don't make the menu bar larger than
the screen."  But they're not much help on what to do if you run out
of room.  Any suggestions on what to do then?

					--Tom Lippincott
					..ucbvax!bosco!lippin

	"Oh yeah?"  --Immanuel Kant, The Critique of Pure Reason