[comp.sys.mac] Semi-Serious Newsgroup Idea

ack@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Andy J. Williams) (04/23/88)

[ The usual line eater joke has been replaced with a boring line. ]

This is a semi-serious proposal for a newsgroup.  So much of the traffic of
this group is questions about missing binaries parts and how do I ftp this
or download that or unbinhex this or unpit that...

what if there was another group called something like

comp.binaries.mac.query

where all such requests can be posted and keep comp.sys.mac from being the
place where we all talk about how to handle certain binaries.
I have not been paying attention to net newsgroup creation methods or
criteria, but maybe someone with more experience can tell me if this is a
crazy idea.

-Andy
Just say WAFNA!

--
Andy J. Williams '90     |Ack Systems: ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu|  _   /|
Software Development     +--------------------------------------+  \`o_O' ACK!

rob@uokmax.UUCP (Robert K. Shull) (04/25/88)

In article <8735@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU> ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu.Dartmouth.EDU (Andy J. Williams) writes:
>what if there was another group called something like
>comp.binaries.mac.query
The IBM PC'ers just voted in comp.binaries.ibm-pc.d (or whatever the binary
discussion group is going to be called), so there's precedent :-) If anybody
is interested, I'll take a vote. I'm getting tired of wading through this
stuff too. We could also discuss problems, patches, etc. for the posted
programs (like the Risk patch that came through a few weeks ago). It might
also be a good place to put all of these virus discussions. :-)
	Robert
--
Robert K. Shull
University of Oklahoma, Engineering Computer Network

syap@ur-tut (James Fitzwilliam) (04/26/88)

In article <8735@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU> ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu.Dartmouth.EDU (Andy J. Williams) writes:
*
*what if there was another group called something like
*
*comp.binaries.mac.query
*
*where all such requests can be posted and keep comp.sys.mac from being the

How about "comp.binaries.repost" -- both the requests and sections needing
reposting could go there.  (I'm thinking of the ones like Risk Part 3 that
made it nowhere in one piece...)  I made the mistake of waiting for Risk 3
to be reposted while I went out of town, and needless to say it never hap-
pened!  (Don't bother sending it to me now, I finally tossed the remainder. :)

			James

domain: syap@tut.cc.rochester.edu
  path: rochester!ur-tut!syap             "Piano is my forte"  (-:
 GEnie: FITZWILLIAM