[comp.sys.mac] Scores Virus Report 2

jpd@eecs.nwu.edu (Phil Draughon (ACNS)) (04/26/88)

Scores Report 2

Sent on Monday 4/25/88 to comp.sys.mac.
This is my second report on the Scores virus.  The important good
news is there are now two free disinfection programs called
KillScores and Ferret 1.0.  I didn't write either one of them.
They seem to work fine, so there's no need for me to write another
one.  I'm also happy to report that CE Software's Vaccine 1.0 is
effective against Scores.  There's not much new to report about the
virus itself.

KillScores and Ferret 1.0 were posted on AppleLink over the weekend
of April 16.  I discovered them shortly after posting my first
report on Monday the 18th.  I believe they are also available on
CompuServe, but I haven't checked.

Both of these programs were written specifically to eradicate the
Scores virus.  They can also be used to simply check for the virus,
without changing anything on your disk.

I tested both Ferret and KillScores on my small infected test
system, and on some large uninfected ones.

Both of them worked on my small infected system.  They removed all
traces of the virus and repaired the system folder and all the
damaged applications correctly.  They both also correctly reported
that several large systems with nearly full 20 and 80 megabyte hard
drives were uninfected.

A word of warning, however.  My small test system only contains
infected versions of TeachText, ResEdit, and MacWrite.  I don't
have the facilities or the time to do large scale testing of lots
of infected applications.  Also, I don't have the source code for
either of the programs.  So I can't guarantee that either of them
is perfect, or that they won't damage your files.

KillScores has a better user interface than Ferret 1.0, although
neither one is very good.  Ferret 1.0 also seems to have a problem
properly reporting the names of the infected files.  This only
works some of the time.  KillScores does a much better job of
telling you exactly what it's doing.

The important thing is that both of these programs seem to work,
and the authors deserve our thanks.  Larry Nedry wrote Ferret 1.0,
and KillScores is the work of the MacPack/Apple Corps of Dallas
task force, headed by Howard UpChurch.

Getting rid of a virus is very tricky, even with the help of a
disinfection program like KillScores or Ferret 1.0.  I managed to
make mistakes using them during my tests, and ended up with a
system that was still infected!  I recommend that you carefully
follow the steps below to make sure that you've really eradicated
all traces of the virus.

Step 1.  Make a startup disk containing just a system folder and a
copy of the disinfection program (KillScores and/or Ferret 1.0).
For the safest results the system folder should be copied as is
from a locked original Apple system release disk.  The only files
you really need in your system folder are System and Finder.  Make
sure your system folder doesn't contain any non-Apple INITs, CDEVs,
or other miscellaneous crap.

Step 2.  Restart your machine using the startup disk you just made.

Step 3.  Make a backup copy of the startup disk you just made.

Step 4.  Run the disinfection program on all the hard drives and
floppies in your collection, including the backup copy you just
made.  Don't run any other programs or boot from any other disks
until you're done disinfecting, or you might get reinfected.  Use
Finder, not MultiFinder (I've only tested under Finder.  The
programs might work OK under MultiFinder too, but I don't know).

Step 5.  Shut down your system and restart using some other
(disinfected) startup disk.

Step 6.  Immediately erase the startup disk you made in step 1 and
used to disinfect your system.  The backup disk you made is free
from infection, and it contains a copy of the disinfection program
that you can use again if you need it.

For the safest results you should try to make sure that all the
files you copy to your startup disk in step 1 are uninfected.
That's why I recommend using your original locked Apple release
disk.  I have, however, tested both KillScores and Ferret 1.0 with
infected startup disks, and they seem to work OK.

To double check, you can run both KillScores and Ferret 1.0.  The
program you run first should disinfect your disk, and the one you
run second should report that the disk is free of infection.

I've also tested CE Software's Vaccine 1.0 with Scores.  It seems
to be effective against the initial attempt at infection.  In all
my tests my vaccinated system bombed whenever I attempted to run an
application infected with Scores, and my system was not infected.
I've tried this with the "expert display" option both on and off,
and with the "always compile MPW INITS" option both on and off.
I've seen bombs with ID=02 and ID=25.  I don't know why the system
bombs instead of presenting Vaccine's usual dialog box or tiny
icons.

I'd like to correct an error in the first report.  When fixing an
infected application with ResEdit, you should replace bytes 16-23
of CODE resource 0 by bytes 4-11 of CODE resource nnnn, not by
bytes 2-9.  Bytes are numbered starting with 0.  I apologize if
this caused anybody any grief.

I'd also like to thank Dave Lavery and Howard Upchurch for their
early work on the Scores virus.  I used their results as a starting
point for my own research, and I should have given them credit in
my first report.

I've discovered several more interesting facts about Scores,
including more attacks on VULT and ERIC, an explanation for why
some applications don't get infected, and several bugs in the
virus.  There also may be a few problems with the disinfection
algorithm I presented in the first report.  The details aren't
important now, so I won't describe them.

It has been reported that the virus contains some sort of special
code designed to fool ResEdit.  This isn't true, although I have
had ResEdit crash inexplicably on an infected system.

Please note that I am NOT Phil Draughon!  I'm just using his
account to post this message, since my usual machine is having
trouble posting notes.  My real name and address are:

John Norstad
Academic Computing and Network Services
Northwestern University
Evanston, IL 60208

Bitnet:   JLN@NUACC
Internet: JLN@NUACC.ACNS.NWU.EDU

ephraim@think.COM (ephraim vishniac) (04/26/88)

In article <10330004@eecs.nwu.edu> jpd@eecs.nwu.edu (Phil Draughon (ACNS)) writes:

>Scores Report 2
>
>Sent on Monday 4/25/88 to comp.sys.mac.
>This is my second report on the Scores virus.  The important good
>news is there are now two free disinfection programs called
>KillScores and Ferret 1.0.  I didn't write either one of them.
>They seem to work fine, so there's no need for me to write another
>one.  I'm also happy to report that CE Software's Vaccine 1.0 is
>effective against Scores.  There's not much new to report about the
>virus itself.

For news about the virus, see MacWEEK for Tuesday, April 26.  There's
an article headlined "Scores virus prompts FBI investigation."  It
turns out that the target programs were two proprietary programs
developed by Electronic Data Systems, Dallas TX, and used at various
government agencies.  The virus is believed to have been circulating
since March 1987.  "According to one source, both Apple and the FBI
know the identity of the programmer who wrote the virus more than a
year ago."  No motivation for the attack is given.

>KillScores and Ferret 1.0 were posted on AppleLink over the weekend
>of April 16.  I discovered them shortly after posting my first
>report on Monday the 18th.  I believe they are also available on
>CompuServe, but I haven't checked.

Ferret 1.1 is now available; I picked it up from Mass Mac and Electric
so I imagine it's on plenty of local boards by now.  It ran very
smoothly on my (uninfected) file system.  I don't know if it corrects
the problems with file name display that the author of the above-cited
report mentioned.

Ephraim Vishniac					  ephraim@think.com
Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142-1214

     On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put
     into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?"