[comp.sys.mac] Making Macterminal Download in Background

oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster) (04/20/88)

Here's how to modify Macterminal 2.2 to do uploads and downloads
in background under multifinder:

1.) Work on a copy of MacTerminal.

2.) Under Multifinder, do a Get Info on Macterminal and slightly change
the suggested space allocation. This will guarantee that MacTerminal has
a SIZE resource.

3.) Use ResEdit. Turn on the "can background" bit in MacTerminal's
Type='SIZE' Id='-1' resource:

(Here are the bit assignments from the top down.)
  1=save screen,
  2=suspend/resume,
  3=optionswich,
  4=can background <-- (turn this one on)

Open the resource Type='DLOG' Id='5101'.  Use the DLOG menu, select
"Show as text". and changed the "ProcId" field to '3'.  (This is
because it was 1, and MultiFinder won't swap out if the top window is
a ProcId=1.)

The best way to swap out under MultiFinder during a download/upload is
by clicking on the application icon at the far right of the menu bar.

I find it very handy to open a text editor window, and compose my
next messsage while MacTerminal is downloading/uploading.

Caution: If you lock out MacTerminal for longer than a few seconds, it
will abort the upload/download.
You can lock it out by long compiles or by
clicking and holding the mouse, since MultiFinder won't let background
tasks run while the Mac is trying to smoothly animate mouse drags.
However, it is so nice to have even this level of multi-finder
compatibility.

--- David Phillip Oster            --When you asked me to live in sin with you
Arpa: oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu --I didn't know you meant sloth.
Uucp: {uwvax,decvax,ihnp4}!ucbvax!oster%dewey.soe.berkeley.edu

kateley@Apple.COM (Jim Kateley) (04/20/88)

In article <23664@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu.UUCP (David Phillip Oster) writes:
>Here's how to modify Macterminal 2.2 to do uploads and downloads
>in background under multifinder:

Another easy way to get Macterminal to upload & download in
the background is to get Macterminal 2.3!!  Another
advantage is keyboard shortcuts if you have an ADB keyboard,
and the control key works as well.

--
Jim Kateley          UUCP: {sun, voder, nsc, mtxinu, dual}!apple!kateley
S,P,HnS!             DOMAIN: kateley@apple.COM  Applelink: kateley1

merchant@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Peter Merchant) (04/25/88)

In article <8683@apple.Apple.Com>, Jim Kateley writes:
> Another easy way to get Macterminal to upload & download in
> the background is to get Macterminal 2.3!!  Another
> advantage is keyboard shortcuts if you have an ADB keyboard,
> and the control key works as well.

Uh, Mister Kateley, to the best of my knowledge, those of us mere mortals are
unable to use MacTerminal 2.3 because it isn't available outside of Apple yet.
Please try to keep from teasing us with all the neat stuff that you get to
play with that we can't...:^)

Seriously, can you tell me when I'll be able to get 2.3?
---
"My tears will burn the pillow..."      Peter Merchant (merchant@eleazar.UUCP)

han@Apple.COM (Byron Han, fire fighter) (04/26/88)

In article <8744@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU> merchant@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Peter Merchant) writes:

>Uh, Mister XXXXXXX, to the best of my knowledge, those of us mere mortals are
>unable to use MacTerminal 2.3 because it isn't available outside of Apple yet.
>Please try to keep from teasing us with all the neat stuff that you get to
>play with that we can't...:^)
>
>Seriously, can you tell me when I'll be able to get 2.3?
>---

Keep checking with your dealer.  It should be arriving any day now.
Really.  Honestly.  It is somewhere between duplication and the dealer by now.
So by the time you read this message, it should be at your dealer.

Have them check their 15 April AppleGram.  The upgrade at most dealers
should be free with proof of purchase of MacTerminal...  but that may vary from
dealer to dealer...

--
Byron Han,  Communications Tool            "OS/2 - Half of an operating system."
Apple Computer, Inc. MS 27Y                -------------------------------------