[comp.sys.mac] Resedit 1.2 - Let's call it Crashedit

tomc@mntgfx.mentor.com (Tom Carstensen) (04/27/88)

A month or two ago I donwloaded the lastest and
greatest Resedit v1.2, only to find the it crashes like
crazy (mainly while doing Get Info's).  I have since rolled
back to the previous version (I think it 1.1d2, or 1.1b3)
and I once again Resedit is an indispensable tool.

I must compiliment the developers of ResEdit for an EXTREMELY
usefule tool, but it's another thing to come out with a newer
version that MORE buggy.

I'll stick to 1.1d2 or 1.1b3 for now.

: Tom Carstensen         Usenet: tomc@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM      :
: Mentor Graphics                Delphi: CARSTENSEN          :
:                                GEnie:  XPC23637            :
:                                                            :
:     Predictable really I suppose, it was an act of purist  :
:     optimism to pose the question in the first place.      :
:                             - Monty Python (Cheese Shop)   :

jcc@ut-emx.UUCP (J. Chris Cooley) (04/28/88)

In article <1988Apr26.115144.433@mntgfx.mentor.com>, tomc@mntgfx.mentor.com (Tom Carstensen) writes:
> A month or two ago I donwloaded the lastest and
> greatest Resedit v1.2, only to find the it crashes like
> crazy (mainly while doing Get Info's).  I have since rolled
> back to the previous version (I think it 1.1d2, or 1.1b3)
> and I once again Resedit is an indispensable tool.
>
> I must compiliment the developers of ResEdit for an EXTREMELY
> usefule tool, but it's another thing to come out with a newer
> version that MORE buggy.

All of the ResEdits I've seen with the 1.2 version are appended with a
"d" and then another number, x.  Folks, that means "ResEdit version 1.2,
development version #x."  It's not even BETA yet!  It even has a few
debugging features still left in it, as was posted earlier to this net.

People complaining about a development version of a program having bugs
is somewhat similar to the case of a software pirate complaining for lack
of documentation or user support.

> I'll stick to 1.1d2 or 1.1b3 for now.

I like 1.2d2, and will most likely migrate to 1.2d3 when it circulates down
to around these parts.  I won't expect it to be bug-free, however, until
it shows up as "ResEdit 1.2" with no "d"s, "b"s, or "a"s attached, and is
fully endorsed by apple as an officially released program.

No offense intended to anyone, you understand.  It's just that this whole
thing stopped being humorous after the first dozen posts.

> : Tom Carstensen         Usenet: tomc@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM      :
> : Mentor Graphics                Delphi: CARSTENSEN          :
> :                                GEnie:  XPC23637            :

					--chris

     (    J. Chris Cooley 		| BITNET: jcc@UTA3081		)
    ((    Univ. of Texas Comp. Center	| 				))
    ((    Austin, TX  78712		| 				))
     (    512/471-3241 x229		|  				)
       \    UUCP Mail-path: {im4u|husc6|uunet}!ut-sally!ut-emx!jcc    /