[comp.sys.mac] $ & Sense 4.0 Upgrade--VaporWare?

jdm@ut-emx.UUCP (Jim Meiss) (04/16/88)

	About 6 weeks ago I received an announcement that the all
new, fantastic version 4.0 of Dollars and Sense was now available--and
for registered users a mere $50 too!!
	The brochure promised a 2-3 week delivery if you called the 800
number ( 800-443-0100). Well I did...and they billed my credit card...
but it didn't arrive :-((. I called today and they said they "found bugs"--
in the code. Gee whiz, can you imagine that? I wonder if they've heard
of the time honored programmers method called "debugging" :-)( ?
	Well the word from them is that the shipping date is still 2-3
weeks away if you are naive enough to buy that!
	This vaporware business is spreading almost as fast as viruses!

	Beware.

				Jim Meiss
		 		jdm@emx.utexas.edu
				jdm%uta.MFENET@nmfecc.ARPA

kateley@Apple.COM (Jim Kateley) (04/18/88)

In article <1729@ut-emx.UUCP> jdm@ut-emx.UUCP (Jim Meiss) writes:

>	About 6 weeks ago I received an announcement that the all
>new, fantastic version 4.0 of Dollars and Sense was now available--and
>for registered users a mere $50 too!!

At least they let you know about it, I had to call them
countless times before I got thru and could order it!

>	The brochure promised a 2-3 week delivery if you called the 800
>number ( 800-443-0100). Well I did...and they billed my credit card...
>but it didn't arrive :-((. I called today and they said they "found bugs"--
>in the code. Gee whiz, can you imagine that? I wonder if they've heard
>of the time honored programmers method called "debugging" :-)( ?

There were some nasty bugs in 4.0, the main one for me was it bombing
in the middle of a session under Multifinder!

>	Well the word from them is that the shipping date is still 2-3
>weeks away if you are naive enough to buy that!

This is news to me, I received version 4.0 about 4 weeks after I
ordered it, and then about a month after that I received 4.1
automatically!!  The postmark on my 4.1 disk is March 16th.
This was suprising, as I had given up on 4.0
and its bugs, and I had not gotten around to calling them
and asking what was going on.

>	Beware.

4.1 seems to work ok, but I'm still going by SEAO (save early and often...)

--
Jim Kateley          UUCP: {sun, voder, nsc, mtxinu, dual}!apple!kateley
S,P,HnS!             DOMAIN: kateley@apple.COM  Applelink: kateley1

gregl@ozvax.TEK.COM (Greg Lacefield) (04/23/88)

Jim Kateley writes:
>In article <1729@ut-emx.UUCP> jdm@ut-emx.UUCP (Jim Meiss) writes:
>>
>>       About 6 weeks ago I received an announcement that the all
>>new, fantastic version 4.0 of Dollars and Sense was now available--and
>>for registered users a mere $50 too!!

I read about it in MacUser.  So I called their 800-number back in March.
The price is technically $49.95 + $5.00 shipping.  I had them bill it to
my VISA.  "Would you like 2-day air on that, sir?"  Sure, why not, so tack
on another $5.00 for a total of $59.95.  "All right, sir, you should
receive that by Monday, Tuesday at the latest."  (This was a Friday.)
Wonderful.  Thank you.

>>...and they billed my credit card...
>>but it didn't arrive :-((.

Deja vu.  The following Wednesday came and no software.  I got on the
phone to them, inquiring as to the status of my order.  "Well, sir, you'll
have to call our 213-number for that."  OK, spend my own money to find out
where my order is.  What the heck, just one phone call.  So I did.  "Oh,
sir, did you order from our 800-number?"  Yes, as a matter of fact.
"Well, didn't they tell you that it takes another week before the order
arrives at our warehouse so we can process it?"  No, they didn't.  If
they'd done that I wouldn't have ordered 2-day air.  "Well, sir, that is
the case, but you should have your package by early next week."

So I wait...

...and wait...

...and wait...

>>I called today and they said they "found >>bugs"--
>>in the code. Gee whiz, can you imagine that? I wonder if they've heard
>>of the time honored programmers method called "debugging" :-)( ?

...and wait.  Wednesday, TWO WEEKS LATER, and no software.  I'm pretty
steamed by now, and call them to let them know.  "Oh, sir, what's happened
is that our programmers found a bug in version 4.0 and your order has been
held up until they can fix it."  That's OK, ship it anyway.  "I'm sorry,
sir, we can't do that.  All orders have been placed on hold.  But you can
just be patient and it will be there."

SURE...We all know how easy it is to debug and release code on time, now
don't we?

>There were some nasty bugs in 4.0, the main one for me was it bombing
>in the middle of a session under Multifinder!

I just want my software.  I can understand not shipping it if there are
major bugs in the bowels of the program itself, regardless of the
environment it is operating in.  But to me, this instance has a
work-around, i.e. DON'T RUN IT WITH MULTIFINDER.  If there are these kinds
of bugs, they should just include a note inside the packages stating as
such.  Then I won't even TRY to run D&S under Multifinder.  They should
then announce that they will be shipping a free upgrade to registered
users as soon as the bugs are fixed.  But, Jim is right, what they REALLY
need is competent programmers and testers so software with MAJOR problems
doesn't even get out the door.  Microsoft is as guilty as anyone else;
witness Word 3.0.  (I know that's low, but I'm pretty upset with Monogram
in general...read on...)

>>       Well the word from them is that the shipping date is still 2-3
>>weeks away if you are naive enough to buy that!

This is absolute HORSESH*T!!  I ordered mine over 5 weeks ago, and they
have really F*CKED UP, according to this:

>This is news to me, I received version 4.0 about 4 weeks after I
>ordered it, and then about a month after that I received 4.1
>automatically!!  The postmark on my 4.1 disk is March 16th.
>This was suprising, as I had given up on 4.0
>and its bugs, and I had not gotten around to calling them
>and asking what was going on.

So where is MY copy??

Wait, it's not over yet.

Then, about a week ago, I was reconciling my VISA balance (kept in D&S
1.3) with that of my bank via phone (electronic information, that kind of
thing).  Amazingly, there was about a $60 discrepancy between the two.  So
I called the bank and inquired as to the transactions that had taken place
on my account in the last month.  (I haven't received my statement yet).
"Well, Mr. Lacefield, I show that you have ...(such and such
transaction)..., $59.95 on March (something) to Monogram, then $59.95
AGAIN to Monogram the following week."

These IDIOTS have charged me TWICE for something they promised I would
have over the weekend and HAVE NOT DELIVERED FIVE WEEKS LATER!!!!

What do you think I did next?  On the phone I get, PIS*ED as all hell, to
their 213-number, informing them of their "error".  "Oh, sorry, sir, we'll
reverse the charges just as soon as you send us your statement pointing
out our mistake."  You IMBECILES!!  Don't you track your customer's
transactions?  Can't you just look it up yourself?  "No, sir, we need
proof."

That's IT.  What kind of a way is THIS to support your customers.  In my
book, Monogram gets a big fat ZERO (0) on a scale of 1 to 10.  Not only
did I have to make four phone calls to them (and still haven't received my
order), but now I have to endure finance charges on two VISA transactions
with nothing to show for either one.  Let me remind you that at no time in
this scenario has Monogram mad any attempt to contact ME about the status
of my order.

You can bet that this company will receive a nice little package from me,
including my VISA statement, my phone bill, and a carbon copy of a letter
to the Better Business Bureau.  And they will reimburse me for the extra
transaction, the finance charges associated with BOTH transactions, all
the toll calls I made to them, and the stamps I use to send them the whole
schmear.

And I will NEVER do business with Monogram software AGAIN.  I wish the
best of luck to anybody who does.  They will need it.

Greg Lacefield
gregl@ozvax.gwd.tek.com
...!tektronix!ozvax!gregl

ras@skippy.UUCP (Bob Surtees) (04/23/88)

From article <585@ozvax.TEK.COM>, by gregl@ozvax.TEK.COM (Greg Lacefield):

> And I will NEVER do business with Monogram software AGAIN.  I wish the
> best of luck to anybody who does.  They will need it.

It has been some time since I have dealt with this company that I can't
remember all of the circumstances except that, as an outcome of my experience
with them, I vowed never to deal with ever again.  One thing I do remember
is that a second disk, to use as a backup because the original was copy
protected, did not arrive in the mail as promised. I did receive an empty
package in its place.

Check the packaging if and when you do get your order delivered to see if
it's not empty!
--
Bob Surtees (ras@skippy.UUCP)    Home = 42.51'N 71.25'W
Digital Equipment Corporation    UUCP   (...!decvax!skippy!ras)

thisted@gargoyle.UChicago.EDU (Ronald A. Thisted) (04/25/88)

From article <585@ozvax.TEK.COM>, by gregl@ozvax.TEK.COM (Greg Lacefield):

> These IDIOTS have charged me TWICE for something they promised I would
> have over the weekend and HAVE NOT DELIVERED FIVE WEEKS LATER!!!!
>
> You can bet that this company will receive a nice little package from me,
> including my VISA statement, my phone bill, and a carbon copy of a letter
> to the Better Business Bureau.  And they will reimburse me for the extra
> transaction, the finance charges associated with BOTH transactions, all
> the toll calls I made to them, and the stamps I use to send them the whole
> schmear.

Run, don't walk, to your nearest mail box, and send copies of your Visa
bill and everything you included in your posting to the company that bills
you for your VISA card.  If you do this IN WRITING within 60 days of the
original billing, then they must treat those charges and the finance charges
related to them as a disputed item.  In all probability they will charge
these fees back to Monogram.  If you don't do this, Monogram may never come
through for you, and may even go bankrupt, leaving you as one among many
creditors to file for 2cents on the dollar in Federal district court
somewhere.  If you wait until it is clear that Monogram won't give you
satisfaction, it may be too late for the bank to charge them back.  This
happened to me once; I kept giving the company the benefit of the doubt
until their phone was disconnected.  At that point the Bank just said,
"sorry, sir."  [Federal law requires the bank to credit your account for a
disputed item if you contact them in writing within the specified time.  It
also requires mail-order companies to provide you in writing with the option
of cancelling an order that they are unable to ship within 30 days.  It
sounds to me like Monogram is in trouble, and the longer you wait, the more
likely you are to be in trouble too.]

Ron Thisted
Dept of Statistics/ The Univ of Chicago

straka@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Straka) (04/25/88)

In article <352@skippy.UUCP> ras@skippy.UUCP (Bob Surtees) writes:
>From article <585@ozvax.TEK.COM>, by gregl@ozvax.TEK.COM (Greg Lacefield):
|| And I will NEVER do business with Monogram software AGAIN.  I wish the
|| best of luck to anybody who does.  They will need it.

|It has been some time since I have dealt with this company that I can't
|remember all of the circumstances except that, as an outcome of my experience
|with them, I vowed never to deal with ever again.  One thing I do remember
|is that a second disk, to use as a backup because the original was copy
|protected, did not arrive in the mail as promised. I did receive an empty
|package in its place.

FLAME ON!

Sounds sort of like the experience I had with ProVUE, purveyors of OverVUE.
When my order arrived, (cute little floppy with one of those little shutter
stickers (yes, intact)) I found that the disk contained not OverVUE 1.2, but
a system folder and COPY II MAC, version something-or-other.

However, in this case they CHEERFULLY sent me the right copy of their
software when I sent in the original disk.  (If they hadn't, maybe I could
have sent it to Central Point for an update? :-))

Does this perhaps have something to do with PC software houses that do
marginal ports to the Mac? :-)  Perhaps they don't seem to have enough energy
left over for the Mac business after the attention they seem to lavish over
their PC business.

PS: When OverVUE's print drivers refused to work with the latest laserwriter
drivers, and ProVUE said: "Sure it's fixed, just send in the original, plus
~$10 to cover handling.", I said "It's time to go out and buy some REAL
database software, not some hack like OverVUE."  And I did.  Anybody want to
buy an almost current version of OverVUE? :-(

FLAME OFF!

Boy, that feels better!
--
Rich Straka     ihnp4!ihlpf!straka

Advice for the day: "MSDOS - just say no."

vita@sunbarney.steinmetz (Mark F. Vita) (04/26/88)

In article <352@skippy.UUCP> ras@skippy.UUCP (Bob Surtees) writes:
>From article <585@ozvax.TEK.COM>, by gregl@ozvax.TEK.COM (Greg Lacefield):

>> And I will NEVER do business with Monogram software AGAIN.  I wish the
>> best of luck to anybody who does.  They will need it.
>
>It has been some time since I have dealt with this company that I can't
>remember all of the circumstances except that, as an outcome of my experience
>with them, I vowed never to deal with ever again.  One thing I do remember

Well, since people are having such problems with Monogram, I figured
I'd put in a plug for MacMoney, from Survivor Software.  It's a good
product, and seems to have all the features one would need in such a
program (although I am admittedly not a "power user" when it comes to
financial management programs.)  The best part is that Survivor
appears to have a very reasonable upgrade and support policy.  I
bought my copy in November from MacConnection for $42.  I used it for
a few months, and then in January, I read that there was a new version
3.0 coming out, so I gave them a call to see what the upgrade cost
would be.  To my surprise, they said the upgrade was free; all I had
to do was send them a letter requesting the upgrade.  I did, and sure
enough, three or four weeks later a package showed up with the new
software, a new manual, the whole wad.  I think I got my $42 worth....

The newest version is $69 from MacConnection, which is still cheaper
than Dollars & Sense.  I suggest that disgruntled D&S users may want
to check it out.

Disclaimer: Of course, I have no relationship with Survivor Software
other than as a satisfied customer.

----
Mark Vita                              ARPA: vita@ge-crd.ARPA
General Electric Company               UUCP: vita@desdemona.steinmetz.UUCP
Corporate R & D                              vita@desdemona.steinmetz.ge.com
Schenectady, NY                              desdemona!vita@steinmetz.UUCP

cooper@odin.ucsd.edu (Ken Cooper) (04/26/88)

While plugs are being made for financial software, I purchased Managing Your
Money about three weeks ago, and find it an *excellent* program. I haven't
tried out MacMoney, but I have tried out Dollars and Sense, and MYM has a
superior interface.  It covers just about anything you might want to do with
your home finances (I use it for tracking checking accounts, home purchasing,
expense accounts, stock purchases, mutual funds, tax estimation, cash flow
projection, net worth evaluation) in a very intuitive and straightforward
manner. The "author" of the program (Andy Tobias -- he basically wrote up a
wish list, and had others program it for him) is available for support on
CompuServe, and responds very quickly to questions.

The cons: it is the most expensive of the lot (MacConnection: $129), and does
not have the same liberal upgrade policy as Survivor (they offer the "Deluxe
Support Package" in the box for an additional $49, which entitles you to
one free upgrade).

Disclaimer: I have no connection with the makers of MYM, I am just a satisfied
			customer.

Ken Cooper

ARPA:			cooper%cs@ucsd.edu
UUCP:			...!ucsd!sdcsvax!cooper
COMPUSERVE:		71571,407

jdm@ut-emx.UUCP (Jim Meiss) (04/28/88)

	Just called Monogram again (4/28/88). They still claim that
Dollars and Sense version 4.?? (greater than the buggy 4.1) is two
to three weeks from shipping. Apparently the bugs in 4.0 had to do
with Multifinder compatability and in 4.1 had to do with writing checks.
	I couldn't get them to send me 4.1...even though I never use
it to write checks. They also were extremely vague about whether those
"lucky" people who got 4.1 or 4.0 would ever see a copy of the new
version, if and when it ever comes out!
					Jim Meiss
					jdm@emx.cc.utexas.edu