[comp.sys.mac] Cursor only moves vertically. Why?

gp@lll-lcc.aRpA (George Pavel) (04/21/88)

Recently I experienced a crash on my Mac Plus with System 4.1 and Finder 5.3.
After rebooting, the cursor would only respond to vertical movements of the
mouse ( not a very useful situation).  Thinking that I had somehow munged my
System, I took the opportunity to upgrade to System 4.2 and Finder 6.0.  The
same thing happened.  I replaced the Finder and the Mouse cdev with fresh copies
and it seemed to cure it, but a later reboot showed that the problem reoccurred.
Further experimentation shows that this vertical-only mode happens on most
reboots but not all; if I try long enough, I get full cursor control.  Moving
the mouse around while the Mac is rebooting may or may not help; it's hard to
tell.  I haven't tried eliminating INITs yet to see if one of them might be
causing it.  When this first occurred, I hadn't made any changes to the system
for about a month.  Does anyone have any idea where I can look for the problem?

(I have a lot of stuff in the System Folder: SoundInit, A ScrapSaver, BeepInit,
Boot Logger, CheapBeep, CPS TagFix, CPSSaveDeletes, Autoblack, Macsbug,
Findswell, JClock31patched (which has never caused me any problems, yet), mind,
New Rom Sys Alert, Randomizer, SCSI Bus CDEV, SFScrollInit, ShutDownSoundInit,
Softtalk, Suitcase, Tops, PopKeys.  As I said before, all this was unchanged
for at least a month, during which I had to reboot several times without a
problem.)

George Pavel
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
P.O. Box 808  L-68				(was gp@lll-lcc.arpa)
Livermore, CA 94550			Internet: gp@lll-lcc.llnl.gov
(415)422-4262				UUCP: ihnp4!lll-lcc!gp

masticol@clash.rutgers.edu (Steve Masticola) (04/21/88)

In article <1624@lll-lcc.aRpA> gp@lll-lcc.aRpA (George Pavel) writes:

> Recently I experienced a crash on my Mac Plus with System 4.1 and Finder 5.3.
> After rebooting, the cursor would only respond to vertical movements of the
> mouse ( not a very useful situation).

Have you checked the hardware? (connections tight, no sticky encoder
wheels, no open wires, etc.) You could test the Mac with someone
else's mouse if you can borrow one.

Even if all that's OK, it could still be a hardware problem (i.e.,
encoder counter or something like that) inside the Mac. Not having
access to any Mac hardware manuals (doubtless any that exist would be
published without Apple's permission), I can't tell you specifically
where to look. My guess is it's going to be either one of the custom
chips or a PAL (with the READ fuse thoughtfully blown by Apple, of
course :-( .

If the problem persists, try your software on another Mac. It's really
unlikely to be a software problem if it's specific to one machine
(although in the case of the fellow who removed his batteries to
initialize default settings, it seems it can happen.)

- Steve.

twakeman@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Teriann Wakeman) (04/22/88)

I would first & formost suspect your mouse. A dirty mouse can cause the
symtoms that you mentioned, and have them show up intermittently as well.
Or you can have an electrical/mechanical failure of the mouse itself. See
if cleaning the mouse ball works. If not, try it on another mac or try
another mouse on your Mac.

Good Luck!

TeriAnn

fleishman-glenn@CS.YALE.EDU (Glenn Fleishman) (04/22/88)

In article <1624@lll-lcc.aRpA> gp@lll-lcc.aRpA (George Pavel) writes:
>Recently I experienced a crash on my Mac Plus with System 4.1 and Finder 5.3.
>After rebooting, the cursor would only respond to vertical movements of the
>mouse ( not a very useful situation). ...
>Further experimentation shows that this vertical-only mode happens on most
>reboots but not all; if I try long enough, I get full cursor control...
>George Pavel
>Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
>P.O. Box 808  L-68				(was gp@lll-lcc.arpa)
>Livermore, CA 94550			Internet: gp@lll-lcc.llnl.gov
>(415)422-4262				UUCP: ihnp4!lll-lcc!gp

I hate to ask an obvious question, but did you try a different mouse
with the system? Failing that, did you try cleaning your mouse? Did you
try checking to see whether your battery had failed, and the mouse settings
stored with the newer systems (4.1 and later) were causing problems? I
hope none of these suggestions insult the intelligence with their
obviousness, but any of them have the potential to have caused the problem.

Glenn I. Fleishman, graphic designer & Mac apologist
FLEGLEI@YALEVM.BITNET or through r/Reply
"Andy Warhol lives. I think. Maybe not."

maddie@pnet01.cts.com (Tom Schenck) (04/27/88)

   Well, the last that I knew, an ADB mouse was $50, and an older style mouse
was about $65. This is if you're willing to give up your old mouse, however,
but it is considerably less than $110. Perhaps you asked the wrong question?

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!maddie
ARPA: crash!pnet01!maddie@nosc.mil
INET: maddie@pnet01.CTS.COM

Disclaimer : The only company who's thoughts are my own is owned by me.

Tom Schenck, member 52nd Street Development Team.

gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (04/29/88)

I like the feel of the new Apple ADB mice.  They feel better than Xerox
mice, especially with a mouse pad.

I've heard that a very popular optical mouse (A+; Mouse systems) uses
a directional pad.  This is really poor engineering, since
multi-directional mice have already been invented to solve this
problem.  Xerox makes multidirectional optical mice with micepads that
are simply a textured paper.  If you need a new pad, just Xerox
(that's Photocopy, ooops) the old one...

Don Gillies {ihnp4!uiucdcs!gillies} U of Illinois
            {gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu}