[comp.sys.mac] Faithful Mac vt-100 emulation

Mike_G_Newman@cup.portal.com (04/26/88)

Does anyone know of a faithful vt-100 emulation program for the mac?

What I specifically need is the feature known as dedicated or transparent
print in which printer traffic sent by the host will not appear on the screen
but will be routed directly to the printer.

For example, ProComm, in the MS-DOS world handles this feature well.

So, absent a Mac vt-100 emulation with this feature I am forced to deal
with our mainframe while using ProComm on a Toshiba 1100+.

Needless to say, I'd rather use my Mac....

Mike Newman, Afetna, Saipan, Mariana Islands

cgw@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Gray Watson) (04/27/88)

In article <4803@cup.portal.com> Mike_G_Newman@cup.portal.com writes:
>Does anyone know of a faithful vt-100 emulation program for the mac?
>
>What I specifically need is the feature known as dedicated or transparent
>print in which printer traffic sent by the host will not appear on the screen
>but will be routed directly to the printer.
>
>Mike Newman, Afetna, Saipan, Mariana Islands

Well I haven't had the opportunity to test this feature but the terminal
emultator that has done a FLAWLESS (no kidding) job with vt-100 emultation
(Red Ryder doesn't come close!!) is the Terminal DA (I have version 1.5).

We customized our termcaps down on our 6 BSD Unix machines to do PERFECT vt-220
emultation for a number of screen routines we are working on.  Terminal DA
works perfectly with them.  It has an incredable character set and some other
nice features.  Yes, it is only a DA meaning it has: no macros, no neat Red
Ryder features but I always do my work on Terminal and then move to Red Ryder
or MacKermit to do file transfers, etc.

	Terminal DA Version 1.5
	by Joachim Lindenberg
	SommerstraBe 4, 7500 KA 1
	West Germany.

	He says it is shareware and asks $20 bucks for it.

Hope this helps,
gray watson

p.s. I think we got it from the mac.binaries a couple of months ago.

peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) (04/28/88)

> What I specifically need is the feature known as dedicated or transparent
> print in which printer traffic sent by the host will not appear on the screen
> but will be routed directly to the printer.

I've also looked for emulators with this ability but have been unable to
find any. If someone out there does know of one, I would also appreciate
here about it.

--
Peter Steele, Microcomputer Applications Analyst
Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121

maddie@pnet01.cts.com (Tom Schenck) (04/29/88)

  Well, the first question is are you looking for vt-100, or vt-102.  In the
back of my mind, Microphone (?) and Mac Terminal(?) had emulation to that
effect. And, as far as I know, Procomm had vt-102 emulation.

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!maddie
ARPA: crash!pnet01!maddie@nosc.mil
INET: maddie@pnet01.CTS.COM

Disclaimer : The only company who's thoughts are my own is owned by me.

Tom Schenck, member 52nd Street Development Team.

joachim@iravcl.ira.uka.de (04/29/88)

In article <1135@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU>, cgw@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Gray Watson) writes:
> In article <4803@cup.portal.com> Mike_G_Newman@cup.portal.com writes:
>>
>>What I specifically need is the feature known as dedicated or transparent
>>print in which printer traffic sent by the host will not appear on the screen
>>but will be routed directly to the printer.
>>
> p.s. I think we got it from the mac.binaries a couple of months ago.

Terminal DA does not support the printer sequences and I don't have
plans to add that in the near future.

Terminal DA is available from the INFO-MAC archives. It never showed up
in binaries on our site, although we posted it.

Joachim Lindenberg

akk2@ur-tut (Atul Kacker) (04/30/88)

In article <4803@cup.portal.com> Mike_G_Newman@cup.portal.com writes:
>Does anyone know of a faithful vt-100 emulation program for the mac?
>
>What I specifically need is the feature known as dedicated or transparent
>print in which printer traffic sent by the host will not appear on the screen
>but will be routed directly to the printer.

The media copy commands (printer controls) are I believe, not VT100 features.
Only VT102's have those (VT2xx may also do, I don't know).  Hence a program
that does VT100 emulation will not have support for the ANSI printer controls.
Look for a VT102 emulator.

Atul Kacker  |     Internet: akk2@tut.cc.rochester.edu