[comp.sys.mac] Vaccine: what can trigger it

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (04/30/88)

(From the most recent DELPHI digest)
: From: MACWEEKBOS
: Subject: Re: Vaccine and Font/DA Mover (Re: Msg 26280)
: Date: 14-APR 13:44 Network Digests
:
: I just tried to cause a problem running Font/DA Mover 3.6 with Vaccine
: installed. I tried it with both System 4.2/Finder 5.1 and the current
: System and Finder and could not get Vaccine to trigger, although it
: could be triggered by other programs.
:
: Ric Ford

I have MacNosy'd Vaccine a little, and it looks as if Font/DA Mover
may well not trigger it.  Vaccine doesn't seem to look at whether the
System file is being modified; rather it looks at the resource types
instead.  The traps AddResource and ChangedResource are patched, and
Vaccine is triggered if the resource type argument is one of the
following list:

    INIT, DSAT, PTCH, CODE, MDEF, WDEF, CDEF, nVIR, PACK

If you are not modifying a DA with one of these resources then you
should not trigger Vaccine.

Disclaimer: I don't remember whether there were some other traps
patched which I didn't examine; so maybe there is another check for
whether certain files are being written.

	/JBL

UUCP: {backbone}!bbn!levin     USPS: BBN Communications Corporation
ARPA: levin@bbn.com                  50 Moulton Street
POTS: (617) 873-3463                 Cambridge, MA  02238