[comp.sys.mac] compress

DN5@PSUVM.BITNET (D. Jay Newman) (04/29/88)

Through FTP I have access to a lot of sourcecode which is normally made for
unix systems.  I need a version of the unix compress utility which can run
on a Mac to decompress this stuff.  I don't need the compression at all, but
decompression now means that I have to email the compressed files to a unix
system, decompress them there, and send them back to my mainframe account,
then download them to my Mac.  A lot of bits flying about!

I can accept email, can download from anonymous FTP, and will send disks by
pony express if need be.

                            D. Jay Newman
email: dn5 at psuvm (bitnet)
mail:  Penn State
       12 Willard Hall
       University Park, PA  16802
phone: (814) 863-1654

gz@spt.entity.com (Gail Zacharias) (05/01/88)

In article <40921DN5@PSUVM> DN5@PSUVM.BITNET (D. Jay Newman) writes:
>I need a version of the unix compress utility which can run
>on a Mac to decompress this stuff.

I have posted (or actually will in about 5 minutes) to comp.sources.mac the
sources for an MPW tool to do unix-compatible compression/decompression. You
need MPW both to compile and to use this program.   Included in the sources
is a library that should make it very simple to add compression/decompression
to just about any program which writes/reads files sequentially.  Maybe
somebody can take this library and wrap a stand-alone user interface around
it.  Since I have MPW, I can't quite get motivated to do that...

--
gz@entity.com					...!mit-eddie!spt!gz
	Now let's all repeat the non-conformist oath.