[comp.sys.mac] The quest for the PERFECT VT100 emulator continues...

sqrkl@csvax.liv.ac.uk (04/29/88)

Yes, I too am interesting in finding a so-called 'flawless' VT100 terminal
emulator - does anyone have this Terminal DA 1.5 that keeps getting
mentioned ? If they do, could they e-mail it to me BinHex 4.0'ed ??

By the way, on the subject of VT100 terminal emulators - here's my
assessment of the one's I've seen :

MacKermit   - Minimal VT100 emulation. No double-width/double-height/smooth
              scrolling/double-width cursor etc. etc.

VersaTerm   - Lots of (gimmicky) features and fairly good emulation. Still not
              good enough for my liking.

MacTerminal - Only average emulation and I think the screen buffering system
              is annoying.

Red Ryder   - Sorry, Scott, but Red Ryder is pretty poor ! I run at 9600 baud
              all the time and Red Ryder just can't keep up. Use DrawString,
              Scott, NOT multiple DrawChars !!! Emulation is minimal.

VT100
Maculator   - I thought I'd put a plug in for this one because I wrote it
              myself ! Interesting features : double height width/text,
              very fast E-test, double-width cursor on double width lines,
              session logging, dual-speed smooth scrolling, IntelliMouse
              cursor positioning (click and cursor gets there - even allows
              for tabs, unlike other emulators), written in Turbo Pascal.
              NOT AVAILABLE ANYWHERE (YET....), but will be made Public
              Domain if anyone's interested....I might even release the
              sources if people like it...

Please keep e-mail directly to me to a minimum - I'd rather read any comments
in NEWS (I like a good argument !)...

Richard K. Lloyd,          ***************************************************
Computer Science Dept.,    * JANET : SQRKL@UK.AC.LIV.CSVAX                   *
Liverpool University,      * UUCP  : {backbone}!mcvax!ukc!mupsy!liv-cs!SQRKL *
Merseyside, England,       * ARPA  : SQRKL%csvax.liv.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk  *
Great (?) Britain.         ***************************************************

"I have VERY strong opinions which are nothing whatsoever to do with the
University of Liverpool, so blame ME if I bitch about useless IBM PC clones,
even more redundant IBM mainframes and the terrible Atari ST..."

dudevoir@isl.Stanford.EDU (Glen P. Dudevoir) (05/02/88)

In article <1250@csvax.liv.ac.uk> sqrkl@csvax.liv.ac.uk writes:
>Yes, I too am interesting in finding a so-called 'flawless' VT100 terminal
>emulator - does anyone have this Terminal DA 1.5 that keeps getting
>mentioned ? If they do, could they e-mail it to me BinHex 4.0'ed ??
>
>By the way, on the subject of VT100 terminal emulators - here's my
>assessment of the one's I've seen :
>
>VT100
>Maculator   - I thought I'd put a plug in for this one because I wrote it
>              myself ! Interesting features : double height width/text,
>              very fast E-test, double-width cursor on double width lines,
>              session logging, dual-speed smooth scrolling, IntelliMouse
>              cursor positioning (click and cursor gets there - even allows
>              for tabs, unlike other emulators), written in Turbo Pascal.
>              NOT AVAILABLE ANYWHERE (YET....), but will be made Public
>              Domain if anyone's interested....I might even release the
>              sources if people like it...
>
>Please keep e-mail directly to me to a minimum - I'd rather read any comments
>in NEWS (I like a good argument !)...
>
>Richard K. Lloyd,
>
>"I have VERY strong opinions which are nothing whatsoever to do with the
>University of Liverpool, so blame ME if I bitch about useless IBM PC clones,
>even more redundant IBM mainframes and the terrible Atari ST..."

Well here's another strong opinion.  Why don't you make your
emulator public and give the rest of us a chance to critique it.
I does the net no good to have a review of a piece of software that is
not available to anyone.

Glen

uh@bsiao.UUCP (Uul Haanstra) (05/02/88)

in article <1250@csvax.liv.ac.uk>, sqrkl@csvax.liv.ac.uk says:

> VT100
> Maculator   - I thought I'd put a plug in for this one because I wrote it
>               NOT AVAILABLE ANYWHERE (YET....), but will be made Public
>               Domain if anyone's interested....I might even release the
>               sources if people like it...

Yes, the sources would be a good idea. It might enable us to transform the
program into a VT 132 emulator.
Uul Haanstra, Postbank N.V. Amsterdam                ...!mcvax!bsiao!uh
              Pb 21009
	      1000 EX AMSTERDAM                         +31-20 584 3312