[comp.sys.mac] Mac SE problem

matthew@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (73550000) (04/30/88)

I just fixed a Mac SE which was displaying the following symptom:

 Turn on the Mac...
 and you get a Sad Mac with a low-numbered hex number

The total repair cost was quoted to be over $150 by several different
people, when the person having this problem came to me.

The solution was to remove the main logic board,... remove all of
the RAM memory (in SIMMs) and erase the edge connectors using a
high quality eraser. Then replace the SIMMs.

The Mac now works fine.

If you experience a similar problem, you may wish to attempt
this before spending 'lots of money' (college students don't have this)

(The opinions herein are my own (sometimes). Warrenty may not be valid after
this operation (but it should be). Have fun.)

Matthew Kaufman
matthew@ucsck.ucsc.edu, matthew@ucscb.ucsc.edu, ...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucsck!matthew
(flames are unnecessary,... direct via e-mail if required)

jcc@ut-emx.UUCP (J. Chris Cooley) (05/03/88)

In article <3087@saturn.ucsc.edu>, matthew@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (73550000) writes:

> I just fixed a Mac SE which was displaying the following symptom:
>
>  Turn on the Mac...
>  and you get a Sad Mac with a low-numbered hex number
>
> The solution was to remove the main logic board,... remove all of
> the RAM memory (in SIMMs) and erase the edge connectors using a
> high quality eraser. Then replace the SIMMs.

Hah!  This is great!  I remember my old TRS-80 (Radio Shack) Model 1.
This was the fix for a poorly-working computer.  The reason?  The fools
were too cheap to gold plate the edge connector contacts to keep gunk
from forming on them.

I don't mind saying that it is NOT reassuring to see this "Money-saving"
practice coming back into vogue.  I hope it was some third-party memory
provider and not Apple, so we can easily avoid a brand or company name.

> Matthew Kaufman
> matthew@ucsck.ucsc.edu, matthew@ucscb.ucsc.edu, ...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucsck!matthew
> (flames are unnecessary,... direct via e-mail if required)

					--chris