[comp.sys.mac] protecting my HD20

mjschmel@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Michael J. Schmelzer) (05/01/88)

I test a lot of potentially dangerous programs on my SE with an
internal HD20. (i.e. I download a lot of goodies)
How can I "unmount" the HD so I can test a program in
an insulated environment without fear of infecting all of my files
on it? (God forbid the virus should reach a backup of the hd!)

Thanks a lot!
--
"Sum Iuppiter Optimus Maximus!!"- My Latin teacher who flipped.
"Worthlessness is the root of all worthlessness." -WPRB music dept.

dudek@csri.toronto.edu (Gregory Dudek) (05/04/88)

In article <2737@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> mjschmel@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Michael J. Schmelzer) writes:
>I test a lot of potentially dangerous programs on my SE with an
>internal HD20. (i.e. I download a lot of goodies)
>How can I "unmount" the HD so I can test a program in
>an insulated environment without fear of infecting all of my files
>on it? (God forbid the virus should reach a backup of the hd!)

    The only reliable way to do this is to switch-launch to a floppy
disk

    [hold down the pretzel-key and double-click an application on the
    floppy.  the floppy must include a valid system & finder]

and then "eject" the hard-disk by trashing it.  Unfortunately, there's
no way to "re-insert" the hard-disk when you're finished, except by
rebooting (at least, not with my HD).

    Also, although it's not likely, a really nasty program can still
get out the SCSI port and do something.
  Greg Dudek
--
Dept. of Computer Science (vision group)    University of Toronto
Reasonable mailers:  dudek@ai.toronto.edu