[comp.sys.mac] MS Word Academic Edition

jts@siemens.UUCP (Jim Sasaki) (05/04/88)

> (.... Mention of Microsoft's "Academic edition" of Word, $49 ....)
> Anyone know of any other companies offering this kind of deal?

When I was at Cornell, they had a site license for WriteNow.  They charged
$3 for the program and $12 for the manual, if you wanted the manual.  (I might
be a little off on the prices; it's been about a year.)  They wanted something
that the undergrads could use for term papers.  I thought it was a very good
choice.

    Jim Sasaki (jts%siemens.com@princeton.edu)
--------------------
Any opinions above are my own, and not those of Siemens RTL, for whom I consult.

olson@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (olson) (05/05/88)

In article <543@siemens.UUCP> jts%siemens.com@princeton.edu (Jim Sasaki) writes:
>> (.... Mention of Microsoft's "Academic edition" of Word, $49 ....)
>> Anyone know of any other companies offering this kind of deal?
>
>When I was at Cornell, they had a site license for WriteNow.  They charged
>$3 for the program and $12 for the manual, if you wanted the manual.  (I might
>be a little off on the prices; it's been about a year.)  They wanted something
>that the undergrads could use for term papers.  I thought it was a very good
>choice.
>
>    Jim Sasaki (jts%siemens.com@princeton.edu)

And, if you sent T/Maker $35 you could continue to use WriteNow after
you leave Cornell, for a total price
of $15+$35 = $50

Opinion:  WriteNow is a very nice program.  The user interface is
          (nearly) perfect.  It keeps a low profile, but is very capable.
             (Only problem is a few capabilities are
              only accesable via cmd/opt/shift)

Todd Olson
olson@helios.tn.cornell.edu

lee@sdacs.ucsd.EDU (Lee M. Tablewski) (05/06/88)

The Academic Edition also is available through the mail as well.  I
received a flyer from Microsoft advising that you can get it
*either* at your participating campus bookstore or direct for
$49.95.  Their address:
	Microsoft Word Academic Edition
	Canyon Business Park, 21919 20th Ave. S.E.
	P.O. Box 3011
	Bothell, WA  98021	(800) 227-4679
You need their special coupon, 2 pieces of ID (one showing current
association with the school) or a letter on school letterhead.  Some
other restrictions also seem to apply (e.g., July 15, 1988 deadline).

According to the flyer "You get [the latest] fully functional software
--- not an abridged version....  with condensed documentation."  No
mention is made of whether support is restricted.  Also, 10-Packs of
software, with one set of documentation are available for $350 for
"institutionally owned on-campus machines only."

They end with the question "... how often does the cost of higher
education come down?"  Well, maybe it comes down when you have
surplus capacity of a soon-to-be-updated product, and you are
facing competition?? :-)

Lee Tablewski

Disclaimer:  I have no connections with ANY profit making
	      organization, much less MS.
--

Academic Computing Services	{rutgers...,}!ucsd!lmtablew
Univ. of Cal., San Diego	lmtablew@ucsd.BITNET